Opposites Attract II: Part 17 - The Obession

Retail therapy wasn't enough

Retail therapy wasn't enough. Sliding money in her wallet wasn't. Flowers weren't. Massaging her feet and catering didn't work when she let me. Lauryn kept her promise and did not engage with me. I thought this would slide over like our other arguments but it's obvious I fucked up. She doesn't even sleep in the bed with me anymore. She would either fall asleep on the living room sofa or the twins' room. After a few days of her doing that, I would pick her up and put her in the bed with me, but she made it known she needed her space.

It became frustrating. I feel as if we were roommates and not partners. I know if we did not have our kids or if we weren't married, she would have left me on sight. I can't let that happen again. When I tell her about the trip to New York, I know that would be it. I can't let that happen. But I want to tell her.

Kevin and I debate about this situation on the phone.

"I told you buying her all that isn't going to work. I told you. Lauryn is hard as hell. She isn't falling for it. You might as well tell her the truth and take that hit." He explained exhaustingly for numerous times.

"Dude, I know. I'm scared she's going to leave me. When I told her about Joie staying at my rental, she looked like she wanted to slap the shit out of me. Imagine what she would do if I tell her now?" I place my face in my hands, "I'm scared."

"Of her?" He asks amusingly

"Fuck. Yeah, I'm scared of her. She will beat a bitch up. She a foot shorter than me but all she needs is one hit. She's never hit me before but I know. Trust I do. Either way, this is my family. I live for them, especially, Mel and Jr. I can't imagine not seeing them grow every day. That's why I stopped working so much. It was for them. Everything I do is for them."

Kevin sighs, "Were you ready to marry her?"

"Yes!" I yell without hesitation. "Yes, I knew she was the one. I knew."

"Just because you knew she was the one doesn't mean you were not ready. Being ready involves a mental, physical, spiritual and emotional change. I can tell you love her. It's the way you look at her and how she looks at you. She looks happy each time I see her. Your kids look happy," he paused, "I'm worried about you. As your friend, I'm going to tell you the truth with discernment always. I never have steered you wrong, have I?"

I scratch my beard, "Nah, you haven't."

"I thought so," he joked then changed his tone to seriousness, "You need to let Joie go and let her know where your wife stands cause I'm going to tell you this, she is up to something. Ever since you two did that shit in New York, it has not been sitting well with me." I try to interrupt him, "Nope, let me finish. Liquor brings out the truth and it's obvious this isn't the first time that happened. Did you ever sleep with her?"

"No, but we almost did and we've kissed a few times. But it was before I met Lauryn. It doesn't count."

I could tell Kevin quickly got out of his seat. "You want me to believe you did not try to hit? I'm talking about the Michael I used to run around with and take women to our old penthouse and have them sign a nondisclosure before shit got real. If you want me to believe you didn't call the men in black to flash me right now cause the confession you made is complete bullshit."