The Most Normal Banter

Start from the beginning

"I'd hold you to that."

They kissed before they continued on their way.

The apartment was in an old building with statues and decorative plastering on the front.

"Wow, if it only looks as half as good on the inside, then I might like to stay here."

"Only one way to find out."

"It must have taken a lot of work to keep this house in such a good shape and to maintain its original look," Clary marveled and let her fingers run over some delicate wooden carvings in the elevator.

"Yeah, cause I doubt they had warlocks doing that for them."

"Really? Shadowhunters used warlocks as handymen?"

"That sounds a bit weird but in fact we relied on their services a lot."

"And they were paid for it. That kinda explains their fancy lifestyle."

As soon as Jace had unlocked the door to the apartment, Clary brushed past him excited to look around.

"This is really amazing."

The whole apartment was full of light with high ceilings, plastering, wooden floor and a lot of windows. The comfortable but modern furniture set a nice contrast to the old architecture.

"She was right. The view is amazing," Clary marveled.

"I hate to object but it's even better from here."

Clary went over to the bedroom and she stopped dead in tracks. From there they had a clear view onto the Charles Bridge and some historical buildings. Clary stood at the window and gazed outside lost for words. Jace wrapped his arms around her waist from behind and rested his head on her shoulder.

"Are you happy?"

"How could I not be? I'm just speechless. For someone who had never been on vacation, you found a perfect place."

"What do you think? I'll get some wood for the fireplace while you can start to unpack or take a further look around here."

"Okay. "

When Jace came back around 10 minutes later, Clary sat on the couch in the living room with a 'cat that ate the canary' expression on her face.

"Is everything alright? You look a bit strange."

"Jace, did you know there's a Jacuzzi in the bathroom? And if so could it be you low-key forgot to tell me about it?"

"Surprise?"

"So, you knew?"

"I might have read it in the description of the apartment."

"And they offer excellent customer service."

"Huh?"

Clary pointed over to a drawer on which two bottles of wine, red and white, a bottle of champagne along with a map and information about recent exhibitions and events were found.

"We still have to unpack."

"Ugh, don't remind me," Clary sighed and dropped her head.

"I have an idea. We unpack and then we head out to explore the city a bit. And tonight I'll take you out for dinner."

"But do you think, we can get a reservation?"

"If we aren't lucky, I'll cook."

"Okay..."

It wasn't much of a surprise, it took Clary much longer than Jace to unpack her suitcase. But she could take her time while he was trying to set up a dinner reservation. Clary let herself fall onto the soft bedding and closed her eyes for a while.

"I got a reservation. It's a small restaurant in the old city center. Are you sleeping?"

"Yes, I am. I feel exhausted."

"Never knew you were sleep talking," Jace interjected and laid down next to her.

"I'm now," Clary chuckled and turned to him to snuggle up to him.

"Didn't we want to go out?"

"Just give me 5 minutes to relax."

"I know your 5 minutes, Clary. You fall asleep in less than 3 ½. And wasn't it you who said yesterday, we would use most of the day?"

"Do you have to hold that against me?"

"I don't, I'm just repeating what you said."

"For when do we have the reservation?"

"6 pm."

"That gives me plenty of time to take a shower."

"Alone?"

"This isn't what I had in mind with using the day. And let's be honest, we wouldn't make it in time to our reservation and we both know you don't want to be on the receiving end of my hangry wrath."

"You're right."

A bit than an hour later they left the apartment. They walked a bit onto the Charles Bridge because Clary wanted to take some photos.

"Hey, let's take a selfie."

"Clary..., is that really necessary?"

She smiled indulgently at him.

"Jace, we're on vacation and that's what normal people do."

"Do you consider us normal?"

"For the next two weeks? Yes..., come on. Just to let our family and friends know, we arrived safely."

"Can't you just send them a message?"

"Please?"

"Okay, if it makes you happy. But take care of your hand."

"Why? Oh, you're right. And please smile before they think, they have to go on a rescue mission."