Chapter 32

Author's Note: I wrote this ahead of him before TROS so...sorry for some triggering moments. I didn't want to change it but I did tweak a few areas. Just to warn you ahead of time.

Summer POV

I rubbed my throbbing head, coughing as I inhaled smoke. My blurry vision finally cleared and I saw the destruction around me. The base was obliterated in complete rubble around me. Fire still blazed the forest, making the air hard to breathe. I needed to get out of here.

Wait, where's Kylo?!

I saw the hangar collapse and Kylo shoved me out of the way to protect me from the initial blow. I have to find him...I need to find him.

I called out for him, my voice rasp and weak. I shakily stood up, limping as I crossed through the destruction. I was careful to avoid the fire or the areas I couldn't cross.

I looked around for signs of life. Everything was destroyed, but not nearly as bad as I imagined. How did I survive? I shouldn't be here. There was nothing that protected me...unless...

"Kylo!" I cried out, rushing over to a pile of rubble. I spotted his cape blowing in the wind. As I came closer, I saw that's all it was: his cape. I pulled it out of the rubble, starting to cry as I saw the shreds in it. No, he's still here. I can feel it. Somewhere.

I closed my eyes, trying to sense him here. "Please..." I spoke so softly I could barely hear my own voice. The world was becoming more silent, to the point I only heard my breathing. I thought that meant passing out again, perhaps to never wake up this time. Instead I heard a faint cough, not far from me. My eyes shot open. "Kylo!" It had to be him. Who else could it be?

As I staggered in the direction I heard the noise, doubts went through my mind. What if it wasn't the man I was looking for. What if it was a stormtrooper? Or a Resistance officer? Maybe even Rey? Where the heck was she? No time for her. She was a survivor and could handle herself.

I kept walking, ignoring the sharp pain in every step. He had to be here. He just had to still be here.

I gasped as I saw movement, nearly falling as I tried to run towards it. "Kylo!" I did trip, landing hard but I forced myself back up. I saw him lying on the ground and crawled the rest of the way, the desire to be beside him enough motivation.

I let myself collapse beside him, taking a few hard breaths before sitting up just enough to look over him. He didn't look well, blood stained on the side of his clothes and small puddle beneath him. He was staring at me, each breath looking pained and numbered. "S-Summer..."

I reached down and stroked his cheek, shaking my head. "We're going to be okay. We survived this. My vision is wrong. That means we're alright..."

His mouth moved to say something but a cough came out with a groan. "That's not...h-how it works..."

I didn't argue. I really didn't care about the technicalities of premonitions. Whatever. "It doesn't matter. We can get out of this. That's the important part. I'll figure out a way to find help. The Resistance will come back for me. I know people who will. If you can hold out-"

He touched my hand on his face, making me meet his eyes. His eyes watered and he shook his head. "I'm s-sorry..."

There were more words he wanted to say but couldn't. His chest stopped moving and his touch went limp. I was dehydrated by tears managed to fall. "No...no! Kylo! Don't leave me! No!" I shook him, trying to find ways to revive him. He can't leave me, not like this. I won't go on. I sobbed as much as my body allowed, holding his frail body tighter. His Force was dimming and I couldn't handle this. I needed him in my life. He deserved a second chance. This is not how his story should end. "Ben...stay with me..."