Chapter 19

Summer POV

I let out a small sigh as I looked around the room. So many people. Too many people. I wish I was alone so I could eat and disappear into my quarters...assuming I get that.

I picked up a tray and awkwardly scooted past a group of technicians talking, all turning away when they saw me. Could have ended much worse. I'd rather be ignored for now.

I worked my way up to the counter, staring at what food they had to offer. It wasn't the most appetizing but it would hold me over for now.

"Hey!" A voice hollered from behind me.

Just great. Judging by the tone, it sounds like someone is going to try to start a fight with me. I don't even have my lightsaber. The satchel was gone when I woke up in the cell and I have no idea if the Resistance have it confiscated or if it's still back in the escape pod. I never asked Trace because I'm just happy to be out of prison.

I turned around, hoping I wasn't going to be met with a fist in my face. But instead I saw the handsome Prince Charming of the galaxy.

I gasped with surprise. "Poe?"

His eyes widened and any rage he had disappeared. He blinked, staring at me in disbelief. "Wait...S-Summer?"

I nodded shyly. "You actually remember me?"

"You're a face not easily forgotten..."

Poe looked so happy I thought he was going to kiss me, instead pulling me into a hug. "I can't believe you're alive. I thought Kylo would have killed you for helping me escape."

"It wasn't easy but I survived," was all I answered. I actually did "die" but that's too much to explain.

He leaned back, staring into my eyes. "How did you get out?"

"Long story, maybe another time. Like after lunch? I haven't had anything to eat since last night-"

"What? That's absurd!" He took my hand, pulling me along. "You're getting the best meal there is."

"Poe, I don't need anything special," I said, my face flushing with color. "I'm no different than anyone else."

"Not to me." He flashed back a smile.

So beautiful.

He stopped at the bar, awkwardly letting my hand go and muttering and apology. "Can I have your tray?"

I nodded, giving it to him.

"Hey server," Poe said, as a droid came up to him. "Give me the best the chef can make along with the fanciest drink."

"Poe, I don't need that," I said gently to him. "Something simple and water is fine."

"Nonsense. Consider it my treat." He flashed that smile again and I felt my legs get wobbly.

"You're definitely charming." I softly giggled.

"Is that so bad?"

"Not sure yet."

Not understanding our behavior, the droid picked up the tray and went into the kitchen.

"Look, you're very sweet and I know you're being a gentlemen this way, but a salad and water is all I want Poe," I insisted. "Seriously."

"Alright. What the lady wants, the lady shall get." He corrected my order with the server droid. It was quickly prepared and brought back to me on the tray, larger than expected and looking quite fresh.

"I don't think I'll even be able to finish this," I commented, picking up the now heavy tray. "I hate to have food go to waste."

"Nonsense. We have plenty of rations right now. A little waste won't hurt." Poe saw my slightly struggle in holding the tray and kindly took it from me. "Here. Let me help you." He set it down on a nearby table. "Eat up."