Chapter 30

Poe POV

"What do you mean they stayed behind?" Trace exclaimed.

"They stayed behind," I replied, trying not to sound solemn. "I tried to talk them out of it. They wouldn't listen."

"Then maybe I should."

"There's no time," Falynn called out from the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon. "We either leave now or risk the chance of being discovered."

He came out, leaning against the wall. The lights flickered above us, reminding me of just how safe this ship was. "I may have the cloaking device and shields up, but if a stormtrooper decides to walk over here and bump into an invisible wall? No. It's over at that point."

"I don't want to leave them, believe me," I added to Trace. "But if they can buy us some time, we can come back for them."

"Really? And when is that? To collect their bodies?" Trace argued. "They're going to die, Poe."

"There's nothing we can do-"

"Yes, there is! We go out and fight!"

"We are all that is left!" My voice rose, sounding much louder than needed in this small ship cabin. "If we don't escape, we can't spread the word of hope for people to join our cause."

"That hasn't been doing very well," Finn interrupted, although not rudely. "Leia has been working the comm channel Falynn gave us constantly, sending message after message with her special call sign." He looked down. "No one is getting back to us. We're being ignored."

The room fell silent, worry and panic hitting the crew.

"It's not over yet," I said. "There are people that believe in us out there. We have to just find a way to get to them."

No one went against me, because they just as badly wanted to believe I was right. I could tell most faces were doubtful.

My eyes met with Leia, who was silently watching the conversation. She gave me a smile and subtle nod. I smiled back. That's all I needed: her encouragement.

"Chewie, get us out of here."

Chewbacca grunted back acknowledgement from the cockpit. The Falcon slowly rose and flew out over the landscape.

I kept staring at the sky, praying that the girls were right and the lasterfire would be on hold for now. Then I prayed they would be here when we returned.

I touched my mother's wedding ring dangling on the necklace around my neck. I wish she was here to help guide me.

I also wish that I will be able to give it to a certain girl below me, if she survived.

I closed my eyes, letting my imagination dream of a better, happier future.

Kylo POV

As soon as my shuttle landed, I was ready to kill. I could feel the dark side flowing through me, drowning out the light and giving me strength to accomplish what needed to be done. I felt like a predator, who just stalked his prey and was waiting to make that final blow.

Descending the ramp, I waited momentarily as the stormtrooper squadrons formed a line behind me.

"Spread out and seek down their base," I ordered. "It's probably hidden, maybe even has traps set around the perimeter. Use caution when navigating. Set blasters to stun. I want anyone you find captured alive. The Jedi...they're mine."

The squadrons split up and went ahead of me, blasters raised and comrades talking over private channels to avoid being heard.

I shut my eyes for only a moment, sensing the girls nearby. Such a brash move they're going pay for. And for what? To save their precious remains of a so-called Resistance? Pathetic heroism.