Chapter 28

Summer POV

Any romantic moment Poe and I may have had ended with a bang. Literally.

We both jumped to our feet, suddenly alert. Poe used his quadnocs to scan beyond the skies. "Oh crap-"

"It's them, isn't it?" I almost whispered, sensing the darkness.

"They're blasting their way through the asteroid belt." Poe cursed again, handing me the quadnocs for a look. "They will be clear to fire on the planet shortly."

I had a quick look but I already knew what was coming. "Get us back to base. Time to put my plan into action."

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

We didn't even need to alert anyone. The whole base was already loading important cargo into the Millenium Falcon and making final checks on the shield generator Falynn rigged for us.

Once Poe stopped, we split up, each heading to our assigned places. I hopped off the speeder bike and ran over to Rey, who seemed to be just as a nervous wreck as I was. "Rey-"

"If this doesn't work, you do realize we're going to die," she stated, her eyes watching shadows come closer, threatening to block the sun. "Our lives are in your hands."

"Your support is my greatest strength." I held out my hand. "I can't do this alone. I need another Force user. And no, not Trace. You. Kylo and you have the bond."

"Okay." She softly exhaled and took my hand. "Begin."

Both of us zoned out the surrounding noise and panic. We connected to the Force, stretching our free hands up toward the sky. Then we spoke a single name: "Ben."

Kylo POV

I stood with General Hux on the bridge, watching as our fleet plowed through the asteroid belt as if it was pushing pebbles aside. This mission was dangerous. One slip up and all of our destroyers would get pummeled with asteroids large enough to crumble us.

"Tell the ships to arrange into position once through. Wait for my signal to attack," I said, glancing sideways at Hux.

The general nodded and relayed the orders, as if they really needed to be repeated. It seemed to make him feel good, which made me want to smack the ego out of him.

"Ben."

I spun around, hearing my name in a whisper.

"Supreme Leader?" Hux inquired, sensing my sudden distraction to something he could never comprehend.

"I...I'm fine. Proceed as planned." I tried to put on a brash exterior to keep the questions away. It seemed to work because Hux shrugged it off.

I got lucky this time, but I sensed something was off in the Force...

"Ben."

I tried to ignore it. Someone- something -is trying to pull my attention away but I won't let it. I can't fail now. I'll never be respected as a leader if I'm the reason this plan fails. Hux will have every reason to kill me, and no one in the First Order would stop him.

"Ben."

I looked back at the bridge again, seeing only my own crew. I should know better. It's not anyone here.

My gaze focused on Xuscilia. Not sure how she did it, but it doesn't matter. Smart move. It won't work.

"Command the bridge. I'll return shortly," I ordered, turning to leave.

"You have to leave right now?" Hux responded, shocked. "Whatever could be more important than this mission?"

"Don't press the attack until I come back."