Chapter 8 You won't be mine

Start from the beginning

“I know that,” Cyrus said frustrated. He ran a hand through his hair. He had come here for comforting words, not to be reminded of his duties. He had enough people doing that already.

Euridice sighed. “I know it seems impossible now, but it will all work out in the end. I could tell you all the things you want to hear, but it would not change a thing. Do you want me to tell you pretty little lies, Cyrus? You are a prince. You will be king one day. Do you think your father has not made sacrifices? Or your grandfather?”

“Grandfather had you,” Cyrus sulked, “and my parents had a good marriage.”

“Yet your father did not love Aelia when they were betrothed,” Euridice spoke calmly, “they learned to love each other. It will take time and work, but you can make your own marriage successful as well.”

Cyrus sighed. “I just wish..” He left the sentence unfinished and stood up. “Have you seen Vara today? I cannot find her anywhere. I want to speak with her.”

Euridice shook her head. “No, she lied, “I did not see her.”

“If you do, will you tell her I am looking for her?”

His grandmother nodded. “Of course,” she said. She cupped his face and kissed his brow. “Give it a chance,” she told him, but he did not answer her and she sighed as the door closed behind him.

She waited a moment longer until she was sure he had gone and then walked to the bedroom. She opened the door. “He has left,” she aid to the girl hiding there.

Vara stepped out of the room and bit her lip. She felt like crying. “I must leave,” she said quietly, “he will never commit to this marriage as long as I am near. I have to leave the palace.”

“Don’t be so dramatic,” Euridice took her hands and guided her to a chair. “Silly child,” she said as she pushed Vara down on it, “think for a minute. Where would you go?”

“I will go back to the village,” Vara decided, “my friend Euniece will take me in.”

“And  you think he would not think to look for you there? He will move heaven and earth to find you. Don’t do this to him child.”

Vara looked at her, a plea in her eyes. “Then what must I do?”

Euridice pressed her hands. Vara was like her own granddaughter and it pained her to see the girl so distressed. She had a noble heart, the makings of a queen, but it was not meant to be. “You must speak with the king,” she said, “my son will hear you. He will find a solution. Don’t you dare leave us, Vara. You must promise me.”

Vara swallowed difficultly. Se did not want to leave, but if it was for the best… She sighed. “I promise,” she said.

“Good,” Euridice said warmly, “now hurry off. Your time will come. I am sure of it.”

Vara hugged the woman. “Thank you,” she whispered, “for everything. You have always been good to me.”

Euridice answered her embrace. “You are my grandchild, Vara, blood or no. Never forget that. No matter what happens.” She pulled away and wiped Vara’s tears that had started to fall. “Don’t cry child. You have such a pretty smile.”

Vara smiled despite her tears.

“That’s more like it,” Euridice said kindly, “now go and show them what a granddaughter of mine is made of.”

She went.

***