Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ New Beginnings

The next few weeks went by in a blur. Most of my days were spent helping tend to the wounded. Theo had been called up to help rebuild one of the nearby villages and Mother had taken Bash and the girls home to see to Santiana's wounded. I didn't see much of Killian as he spent a lot of time with Blaise and Lyessa, searching for her lost eggs.

One of my clearest recollections was the day we sentenced Duke Victor in the large courtroom behind the Council House with my father, Alastair, Lord Hargreve and a representative of Queen Indra presiding. A semicircle of benches rose in tiers, overlooking a witness stand and a seat for the Duke. I was seated with Theo and Blaise in the row directly behind my father and Alastair. It had been decided that a closed hearing would be best, so only a few witnesses and the Council members were present.

The low rumble of chatter was silenced as the door opened and Duke Victor was escorted inside. Captivity did not suit the Duke. Although Alastair had been gracious, and had moved him from the dungeons to a comfortable tower room, his once elegant clothes now tattered and stained. The shackles had left red marks around his wrists, but despite his shabby clothing, he still conducted himself with all his former grandeur. He glanced around the room as he was led up to the stand, a sneering smirk playing at him thin mouth.

The guards placed him in the chair and stood on either side of it, in case he should attempt to escape. A herald read out his crimes, beginning with the invasion of Pembleton and Santiana and working backwards. Blaise had agreed to speak against his father, and with his help, we had been able to build a better picture of Duke Victor's actions over the past few years. Throughout, Duke Victor maintained a haughty and disdainful silence.

When the herald finished, Lord Hargreve looked down at Duke Victor.

'Do you wish to pose a defence?'

Duke Victor looked up, his eyes cold and hard. 'I have no wish to defend myself to the likes of you,' he said, his voice dripping with disdain.

'Very well,' Father turned to Lord Hargreve.

'Execution is the punishment for crimes of war,' Lord Hargreve said.

'No,' Blaise said. 'He not deserve death. Let him live with himself.'

Alastair nodded. 'I agree,' he said.

'Very well,' Hargreve said. 'If that is your will, the alternative is hard labour.'

Alastair nodded, and my father stood to pronounce the sentence.

'Duke Victor,' Father began. 'We hereby strip you of your titles and land, and sentence you to twenty years hard labour, where you will assist in rebuilding those towns and villages you attacked.'

Duke Victor did not respond and was led away by guards. As the door banged shut, I stared after him with a strange sense of disappointment. I had spent so long worrying about what he would do to me and my people, my friends and family, that I had not considered a time when we would all be safe from him.

Father returned home the next day, leaving Theo and I. I had wanted to accompany him, but my engagement to Alastair still stood, and so I had to remain behind in Pembleton with Theo as my chaperone.

A few days later, Alastair and I were summoned to Pembleton's Council to officially recognise him as King. The council was initially hesitant to grant him the throne, but Alastair stood firm as he outlined his wishes for the country and soon, the Councillors agreed. One by one, they stepped forward and swore to serve the king and uphold the laws of the land. Alastair smiled graciously as he accepted each Councillor's pledge. Once we stepped back into the carriage, however, his demeanour changed. He leaned against the plush green velvet and closed his eyes.