Lifted

Xavier:

I finish making breakfast and take it to the living room for Mom. I sit with her and eat from my own plate of eggs and toast.

She looks up from the papers she's reading. "Have you talked to Zakiyah about the trial." I shake my head.

"Please talk to her," she pleads.

"I will," I promise.

"Call her right now."

I roll my eyes. "Mom, she's prolly sleeping." She just gives me a look. "Fine." I get up and go to the stairs. I sit down and pull out my phone.

The are three frequent names in my call log: Mom, Lucia... And Zakiyah. Taking a deep breath, I tap the last name. The phone rings and rings. I'm aboutta hang up and give up when she answers.

"Hey, Xavier." She sounds like she's been up for a while now.

"Hi."

"It's kinda early, don't you think?" She asks.

"Yeah I know... Look--"

"Hold on." She mutes the phone for a few seconds then comes back. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

I start talking again but stop. "I can just call you later if now isn't a good time."

"Uh, like how serious is it?" She asks.

"It's serious."

"Oh. Ok." She laughs at something and now I know she's with someone. Prolly Jayce. "I'll call you in a little bit when I get home."

"Ok." She hangs up and I stare at my phone. Did she wake up early to go out with this guy or is she JUST coming back from being with him? Either way I don't like it.

I get up and go to Mom. She's finished her breakfast. I grab my plate (cuz I don't even wanna eat anymore) and hers. I come back to her. "Do you need anything cuz I'm aboutta go out for a bit."

She shakes her head. "Tino and Reese will be up soon. I'll be fine."

"Do you wanna lay down?" I offer. "I can do that before I go."

"Sure." So I help her outta her wheelchair and get her comfortable on the couch. She's had to use this wheelchair ever since she got out the hospital. It's not like she can't walk. Her abdomen is still healing and the doctors said too much movement in that area will slow down the process. So yeah... it's been kind a hard.

"Is that good?" I ask her.

She smiles at me. "Yes. Thank you, honey."

"You're welcome." I kiss her on the forehead. "I'll see you later. I love you."

"I love you too."

I leave the house and get in my car. While I wait for the car to warm up, I pull out my phone and text Lucia.

I'm coming over.

Ok.

I drive over to Lucia's house. She answers the door and let's me into her house. It's dark in there but I can see her mom sitting on the couch, smoking. She's always been high the few times I've seen her.

We go upstairs to Lucia's room and she closes the door behind her. "So wass--"

I grab her and lay her on the bed before she can even finish her sentence. She laughs as I take off my glasses and come down to kiss her. She tries to pull my shirt off, but I pin her arms at her sides to stop her.