Ambush

Nyx was dying.

"Nooooooo!" She shrieked, "You can't!"

Thalia smirked. "Oh yes, I can." She slowly moved the tiles onto the Scrabble board, one by one.

Nyx shot her a death glare. "Fine." She turned up her nose. "I'm leaving."

She pulled aside the blanket covering the entrance to their pillow fort, stepping over a pillow and an overturned mug that had once contained hot chocolate.

"Hey!" Thalia sprinted out of the fort, slipping on a pillow and landing on her backside. She jumped up and caught Nyx's wrist. "Don't be a spoilsport! I always cheer you on when you're winning!"

Nyx scoffed and twisted her arm out of Thalia's grip. She flounced up the stairs, not even looking back.

Thalia huffed. I'm not going to apologize. She has to apologize, the thought as she made her way back to the fort. She sat down. This time, I'm gonna be the one who doesn't care.

-10 minutes later-

She sprinted up the stairs... and crashed into Nyx. Nyx yelped.

"Ouch!" She rubbed her head, scowling, and looked up at Thalia suspiciously. "What were you doing?"

Thalia crossed her arms slowly. "Nothing," she said, as casually as she could. "Just coming to see if you were ready to apologize yet."

"Yeah right," Nyx scoffed. "You were coming to apologize."

Thalia thought for a moment and then stepped around Nyx and started walking up the stairs.

Nyx started incredulously for a second and then caught Thalia's wrist. "Where are you going?"

Thalia looked annoyed. "Um... to bed?" She unhooked Nyx's hand from her wrist. "I'm tired."

She carried on walking up the stairs. Nyx ran up and blocked her way.

Thalia raised her eyebrows. "Something you'd like to tell me?"

"Sorry." Nyx muttered, annoyed she'd even had to apologize in the first place.

Thalia cupped her ear. "What did you say? I didn't hear you."

Nyx scowled and looked away. "You heard me."

Thalia shrugged and moved past Nyx. "Guess I'm going to bed."

"Fine! Sorry!" She crossed her arms and pouted.

A slow smile slid onto Thalia's face. She turned around slowly. "Okay." She nodded. "Snuggles?" She held out her arms.

Nyx grinned and jumped into Thalia's arms, wrapping her arms around he brunette's neck. She held a hand over her eyes, as if to shield them from the sun. "Forward, my noble steed!"

Thalia chuckled and walked up the stairs, Nyx still nestled into her arms.

➵➵➵➵ ✵☽✵ ➵➵➵➵

The following morning, Nyx and Thalia were both sitting on their armchair in the lounge, huddled in front of the tiny, ancient T.V. on which a movie was currently showing. Nyx was bored, so Thalia was letting her unbraid her hair and brush it.

"It's really curly," Thalia warned her. Every morning, Thalia would attack her hair with a brush, trying to wrestle out the stubborn knots that persisted in tangling up what would otherwise be a shiny curtain of curly brown hair.

Nyx scoffed. "I don't care!" She started taking apart Thalia's braid, gently pulling apart the pieces of hair as she went along.

Thalia chuckled to herself and carried on eating her pancake. Nyx was stubborn, and if she didn't get what she wanted she would fight for it. She's so cute, Thalia thought fondly.