Chapter 24:

"I swear Zephyr hates me," I scowl and try to fix my hair, which is sticking up in all directions thanks to Zephyr.

"Nah, he's just got a stick up his ass," DeNyle chuckles. "He hates everyone. I'm digging the new look by the way."

"I hate you," I pout and try to pull my hair into a somewhat smooth braid.

"No, you don't," DeNyle teases and holds out the violet ribbon he bought me to tie up my hair. "You're just mad at that big meanie Zephyr." Before I can take the ribbon he deftly ties it around my braid and lets it drop down across my shoulder. "Perfect." He grins.

"I'd be even more impressed if you could braid hair," I chuckle and pick at the ends of my braid.

"Oh, I can," he grins and pulls the tie out of his blue hair. His hair falls down to his cheek, covering the buzzed sides of his head, and he proceeds to French braid it back into a ponytail.

"Well," I shake my head in amazement. "I guess I am impressed."

"You should be," he wiggles his eyebrows. After tying off the braid he reaches out and scoops up my hand. "Do you ever feel like we are supposed to belong here, rather than in the real world?"

"I used to think it was stupid to want to hide out in a video game," I confess. "I always looked down on people who spent their time playing Cyber Mortality, but now that I am here I see why everyone loves it." "Why's that?" DeNyle rubs his thumb over my knuckles. "The real world is crumbling," I sigh. "Winter basically doesn't exist anymore, the oceans are too hot for most fish to survive, and the forests are all but gone. Here we climbed a snow-covered mountain, hunting in the forest, and the oceans are teeming with life."

"Yeah," DeNyle nods and lies back in the grass. "Everything is better in Cyber Mortality. You know, I sucked at sports in high school. Here I am an amazing swordsman. I can do pretty much anything I put my mind to. Speaking of which, we should get back to practicing."

"Do we have to?" I groan and glance at my twin scimitars. "I'm tired. I kinda just wanna lay back and watch the clouds."

"If you want to be ready for the competition then you need to practice. It's only a week away now," DeNyle climbs to his feet and tugs me up. His arm clasps around my waist and he holds me for a moment. "Though your proposition is tempting."

I grin and stretch up on tiptoes so I meet his height. I peck his lips softly before escaping from his grasp.

"No fair!" he calls out with a grin on his face.

"You're the one that wants to train," I wink before scooping up my swords, one in each hand. My wrists twist as I execute a move I saw in a movie once. I twist my fingers and spin my swords. Our eyes meet across the ten feet between us as he calls out his broad sword. My knees bend, ready to spring if DeNyle chose to attack first. 

His eyes drop toward my left arm and before I can blink he lunges. 

My arms swing up, our swords meet and I glance his blade to the left of my body, which leaves his right side exposed. His abs clench and his shirt crinkles before he dodges back, rolling before landing on his feet. I purse my lips trying to analyze the situation. Speed-wise I know I have him beat, but with strength he far surpasses. If I had simply tried to block his swing it more than likely would have shaken my swords out of my grasp. I rub my thumb over the hilt of my swords and tighten and loosen my grip. My lungs fill with air and I try to even out my breathing.

"Are you going to attack?" DeNyle smirks with his sword raised before him.

"Heh," I snort and take a small step toward him. "Are you scared?" Before he can respond I spring forward, staying on my toes, as I look toward his left and lung for the right. After all, it was his eyes that told me where he would attack.

Faster than someone in real life could muster, DeNyle blocks both of my swords as they slice one after the other toward his chest. As I move in closer and I try to get him off balance I feel something sharp poke just below my left breast.

"I win," DeNyle smirks and removes the dagger which he held pressed to my chest. "Even in armor, there are weak points. Always remember that someone skilled with a dagger will find the weak points in your armor if you let them get too close. I learned that from Rocky many times..."

"Humph," I pout and glare at the dagger in his hand. Small and sharp, almost like a large needle about the length of one's palm, which seemed all too small against his broadsword. I watch as he slips the needle inconspicuously into the hilt of his sword.

"Do you know what the best part about this little baby is?" DeNyle asks. I shake my head. "It's poisonous."

"Of course it is..." I sigh and take a few steps back. "Shall we go again?"

"Yes ma'am," he nods and brings his sword up in his ready stance. "Just don't expect me to go easy on you this time."

"Oh whatever," I snort.