Chapter 63:

The foyer expands into two sets of stairs going up to a landing, and a set of double doors leading toward a room with a fireplace under the landing. Torn navy blue banners shift as a small breeze comes into the foyer from somewhere. The floor is a gorgeous work of marble with swirling designs carved around the edges. A chandelier dangles with some candles which are lit.

"This place is kinda creepy," I cringe. "Why would all of these candles be lit when no one is here."

"Magic?" Jez shrugs and steps toward the large doorway with a fireplace beyond. A fire dances in the marble fireplace to illuminate what appears to be a lounging room. Books line the walls and three couches sit in the middle of the room making a U shape around the fireplace. A tea pot, cups, and a tray of cookies rests on a mahogany low table in the center of the U.

"Now that I like," Nyle steps into the room and descends on the tray of cookies. "They don't even look stale." He picks one up and sniffs it.

"They're still warm," Jez blinks in surprise. "Like they just came out of the oven."

"Is there anyone here?" Flint calls out, but his voice echoes in the silence.

"I've got a bad feeling about this place," I shudder and pick up one of the cookies to examine it. I graze my fingers against the tea pot as well and gasp in surprise. "This pot is still warm too."

"We should check out more of the house," Flint suggests and heads toward a door to the right of the room.

As I follow him through the door I can not get the suspicious feeling, that someone is watching me, out of the back of my mind.

The next room is a dining room connected to a hallway and the kitchen. In the kitchen we find the fridge stocked and the kitchen sparkling.

"We could almost just stay here," Nyle chuckles as he rummages about. "This place is certainly nice."

"May!" Jez sprints into the the kitchen with a gleam in her eyes. "You've gotta see what I just found. It's incredible!"

I follow her down the hallway until she stops before a wooden door.

"Prepare to be amazed," Jez giggles and pushes the door open.

After a short hallway the room opens up into a twenty by twenty foot room with tiled floors and in the center of the floor rests a giant bathtub. The water froths with purplish bubbles and steam rises to cloud the room.

"Whoa," I dip my toe into the warm water and find it to be perfect. Not too hot but warm enough to make you groan with satisfaction.

"What did you find?" Flint and Nyle peek into the doorway and Jez fires a small ball of flame at them.

"Girls only," Jez struts up to slam the door in their face.

"What did I miss?" Zephyr inquires from outside the door.

The guys voices disappear as they continue to explore the house.

"Isn't this amazing?" Jez wiggles out of her sandals and drops her satchel to the floor. "I'm getting in. You're welcome to join."

I turn away as Jez rips off her clothes and slides into the warm tub.

"ungh," Jez mutters with just her head peeking out of the bubble bath. "This is incredible. Like heaven. I think I died."

I unlace my boots and slide them off followed by my skinny jeans, tank top, jacket, and the ribbon in my hair. I step toward the edge of the bath and put my toes in again.

"I won't bite," Jez wiggles her brows as she takes in my appearance. "We're both ladies. You don't have anything I don't."

I slip down into the bath and groan as the warm water washes over my aching muscles.

"When was the last time we bathed?" Jez floats on her back and her fiery red hair fans out around her.

"Before the first dungeon?" I roll onto my back and run my fingers through my tangled hair.

"Ooh," Jez leans out of the bath so most of her back is exposed. She grabs a bottle and pulls it back into the bath with us. "This looks like shampoo." She squeezes out a purple glop and massages it through her hair. She holds out the bottle to me.

"Thanks," I take it and dump some into my hair. My hair never felt so long until it was undone from its braid. It runs nearly to my waist.

Jez dips under the water and pops up on the other side of the pool. She wipes away the soap and shampoo from her face before opening her eyes.

"I know you're worried about your Mom," Jez starts as she rinses the last of the shampoo from her hair. "But all you can do it try to escape this place. Worrying about her won't do you any good."

"I know," I sigh and lean back against one of the walls of the bath. "But its hard. All I can think about is that she might be gone before I can make it out of here. If we make it out."

"All you can do is keep hoping," Jez swims closer and leans against the wall beside me. "Believe in us and yourself. We're family after all, right?"

I cock my head to the side to look at her. Her emerald eyes sparkle with sincerity.

"Yeah," I nod. "We are family."

"Good!" Jez giggles and launches herself at me. She wraps her body around me in a tight hug, and though awkward, it feels really nice.