Chapter 6 - The First Date, Part I

Start from the beginning

"Oh, they wouldn't be able to follow us even if they tried."

"Where are we going?" I asked, adjusting my flowers and box of chocolates to one hand so that I could hold Oscar's. It was warm and enveloping, and I never wanted to let go. 

We started walking towards the parking lot, following the stream of people who were leaving the game. "You will find out in 30 minutes. I have kept this a surprise this long; I'm not going to ruin it now."

"Fine," I grumbled. 

We arrived at his car a few minutes later, and he opened the passenger side door for me. "I'm going to go change really quick and get out of my uniform."

"But I like your uniform," I smiled, leaning onto his car, "it's hot."

He looked at me and then suddenly cocked his hip to the side and ran his hand through his hair, "you think this makes me look hot, eh?"

I nodded my head, " hottest band nerd I've ever seen."

"Well then, maybe I won't go change," he placed his hands on either side of me, effectively trapping me between him and the car. I grabbed the front of his uniform collar and pulled him down to my eye level, "Oscar?" I whispered, moving our mouths closer together. His eyes were hooded, and I could smell the intoxicating spearmint gum he was chewing and almost forgot what I was doing. 

"Yeah," he mumbled, leaning into the moment. His lips were seconds away from touching mine, and I could feel the air around us beginning to hum. 

Right before he closed the distance between us, I whispered, "go change," I pushed him back with a laugh. 

"That was very mean," he stated, trying to clear the fog from his head. 

"I have plenty more where that comes from if you don't go change. I want to get this date started," I smirked. 

He sighed and then opened the back door of his car and pulled out a black garment bag, "I will be back in five minutes, don't go anywhere," he pointed his finger at me before turning around and heading towards the school. 

"Wouldn't plan on it," I whispered, watching him until he was lost in the crowd of people and cars. I got into the passenger seat and closed the door, deciding to wait for him where it was a little bit warmer.

I looked around, trying to see if there were any clues about what he had planned for tonight, but I gave up after discovering Oscar had an immaculate car. I leaned back and looked out the window to people-watch instead. 

There were so many kids passing by that I didn't recognize. It amazed me that all of them were able to fit into one school building during the day. I watched as some of the cheerleaders came out of the stadium, followed by some football players. 

I spotted Austin and Brynn almost immediately. Austin had his arm firmly wrapped around Brynn's waist while they talked with their friends. They almost looked like normal teenagers for a minute until I remembered that they were both psychopaths hidden under beautiful skin. 

I leaned back further into my seat so that they wouldn't see me as they walked past Oscar's car. Their friends were gone now, and it looked like they were starting to get into an argument. I couldn't hear anything that they were saying, but I could practically feel the anger pouring off of Brynn in waves. 

She yelled something at Austin and jammed her manicured finger into his chest. He just shrugged his shoulders and smirked before walking away and leaving Brynn by herself. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure tears are running down her face. I wonder if she just found out I wasn't coming to the party tonight?