PART 1: CHINESE WHISPERS - I

The sound of thunder ran up through his feat, spreading a trail of lights up his spine. Lights flashed all around him, and the blurry world lit up in cascades of red and purple. He blinked, unable to clear the haze surrounding him; he screwed his eyes shut, but when he opened them his vision was still blurry at the edges. He turned, lost, and his eyes swept across an ocean of blue lights. They danced, and grew and spun; the world pulsed to their swaying, and his heart adjusted. It beat to the rhythm of the crowd.

Nearer to him, the world found focus, and people faded into existence, their light sticks joining in the sea above their heads. He stood mesmerised, facing them, thousands upon thousands of people seeing him but never watching. He blinked in surprise, in amazement. They all looked past him, to a point not so far away, a point that reflected light and controlled the gleam of a thousand souls.

He turned back slowly, slower than before, his heart holding its breath. The universe held the moment in its palm and took its time, watching with bated breath. It seemed his whole body sighed in relief when he saw the person who sung to the world before him. It seemed every part of him suddenly came together, finally found itself.

Every atom surrounding him reacted to the touch of Mother Fate, and from within them was born a cerulean light. Every inch of his skin awoke and reflected the colour of the air around him, every strand of hair shone brilliantly. And the world became warm, and Future stood over him and stared, amazed.

In one single instant that spanned all of time itself, Universe, Mother Fate and Brother Future sighed a sigh made from stars and hope, and they all held the moment between them, before every light in existence was snuffed out.

Jungkook took an immeasurable breath of air as he sat up in his bed. His hair stuck to his sweaty forehead, and his heart beat to the pace of a hummingbird in his chest. He looked around at his room, lost once more as he readjusted to his reality. When he finally realised where he was, he brought his hand to his chest and sighed too deeply, trying to calm himself down.

One hand came up to brush sleep from his features, sweeping his hair back afterwards. He blinked, confused but remembering every feeling, every glimpse of light, and every tremor from his dream. It all resonates within him like an otherworldly drum. Jungkook frowned slightly. He could remember everything, down to the feeling of each individual hair rising in a wave of goosebumps along his skin. But he cannot remember the face he stared at. He recalled gazing up at the person on stage and knowing... something. He could still feel the warmth that spread throughout his body, pulsing truth and strength and hope alike a beacon. He was still painfully aware of how, in that second that stretched for eternity, his whole world spun to a stop and realigned itself with the person in front of him, each molecule linking up into a giant web of light. And he couldn't even remember their face.

It took time for him to fall back asleep, his heart was too afraid. The waves running through the moonstruck air around him made his blood swim faster, and he looked up and through the ceiling at imaginary starlight for hours before sleep could claim him again.

In his slumber, cerulean light pulsed faintly behind his eyelids.