Chapter: 21

DAY: 275

Winter Soldier

I left Lark quietly. I didn't want to but I had to. No one said a word to me when we were being flown back to the Helicarrier. Once we arrived Fury set us to looking at every piece of information he had on Stephen Strange and the location we were going to be going to.

Stephen Strange was a reowned surgical doctor, who lost the use of his hands after an acident. But with the magic that he posseses he can use help him to use his hands, but only when he is actually using magic. He can do other things with his hands, it's just harder for him.

Hydra managed to snatch him when they first took over, recently was S.H.I.E.L.D. able to know his whereabouts and know his condition. But Hydra's lost their leader, Alexander and now they have to literally depend on themselves since no one is brave enough to step up and take the head. They're oblivious to the real world.

Jack had been found dead several days before, of what we didn't know but we had the notion that it had something to do with the Aether consumption. Alexander was killed. I didn't want to tell Lark about her father, nor how it was done or who did it. I wanted her to believe that S.H.I.E.L.D. still had him locked away, I didn't want to see her hurt or sad. But based on how she last talked to him I feel that she'd barley be moved by it. But I could have been wrong. Her brother and sister were aloud to live, since they were not the ones at fault and did not commit high crimes. But they will be admitted to a prison where they were carry out the remainder of their lives serving time in cells and in chains. They accepted their punishment without question.

Who knows how Lark would react if I told her about her brother and sister. She could fall apart and I didn't want to see her go through pain like that, especially not now.

I stood by one of the lockers, pulling on a bullet proof vest and then a thick jacket and some gloves. I pulled on a harness and loaded it with two guns, hiding the knives in the slits of the jacket and then another in my boot. I was preparing myself for the worst of conditions out there. Ensuring that I was packed with enough ammo myself and maybe another person. Steve was setting his shield onto his back and pulling his helmet out. He looked at it a moment.

"How long have you had to wear that thing?" I asked him.

"Few years, it still doesn't fit right." he said, he looked over at me. "What about you? The arm still in top shape?"

"You bet it is." I answered him with a grin. Steve shook his head with a chuckle,

"That thing still terrifies me. I still remember how it felt when you were crushing my skull in on the helicarrier."

"I remember that."

"Really?"

"Vaguley." I answered. Steve rolled his eyes and the both of us closed the lockers and walked on out to the bridge. Fury was waiting for us. Clint was leaning against the railing, eyeballing me with an arrow between his fingers. I ignored him.

"Where's Natasha?" Steve asked.

"With Lark, we sent her down there a little earlier than we expected after we were contacted by Thor this morning." Fury answered.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Lark just had a nervous break down but she's fine." Clint answered me. "Natasha'll take care of her, and if anything she'll contact us again for back up."

Hearing that made me feel nervous, like I had done something wrong leaving her there like I had. Distraught, wrecked, broken most likely. I knew she'd hate me for leavinging but I was hoping that when I returned she'd be happy too see me as I knew I would be with seeing her again. She's been on my mind the moment I let her go from my arms.