Chapter 14

Emilie's POV

It's 31stof December. And I have a plan.

I slip into my black vans, grabbing my cars key. I head out of the door, the cool wind blowing at me making me shiver. I pull my coat closer to me, trying to get warmer.

I enter the car, immediately putting the heater on.

I drive to the lake. I haven't gone there in a really long time.

Once I arrive, I get out of the car, heading to the deck. I sit down there, my feet dangling above the water. The water looks almost white, since its pretty cold.

"hey, didn't expect you to be here" I turn to the voice, which belongs to Aiden.

"hey" I greet him. He sits down next to me; he looks at me and I notice how red is his nose.

We stay silent for a moment before Aiden breaks the silent, "it's New Year's Eve" Aiden says.

I nod "yea"

Aiden turns to me, so I face him instead at the lake.

"do you believe in the whole New Years thing? You know, the whole new goals, a new page?" Aiden asks me.

I think for a moment before answering, "to me, if you asked this question a year ago, I would have said yes. Now though, I think it has nothing to do with New year's" I pause " most people take New Years as I way to do new thing, new goals. But honestly, if you want to do something, or add a new goal, you don't have to wait until a new year. You just add them. I prefer to have a list not for a new year, but for my entire life. I want to achieve a goal, then I do it, in the middle of the year or at the end, it doesn't matter just as long as you do it. People use the term 'new year' as a motivation, or as an excuse sometimes " I continue.

Aiden's looking at me, just staring. I feel my cheeks warm up from his stare, so I look away.

"wow" he says, dumfounded . I lift my gaze from the deck to his Hazel eyes.

"what?"

"that actually makes a lot of sense" he says slowly.

"though, I'm not saying I'm not using New Years as an excuse today" I mumble.

He furrows his eyebrows "what do you mean?" he asks.

I shake my head "it's complicated" and it really is.

How can I explain to him that I want Austin and mom to fix whatever is going between them, without telling him the whole story of Austin?

I mean, it's not like I don't trust him, it's been almost five- months since I met him, I just think it's not the right time, I guess.

He nods, getting that I don't really want to talk about it. "though if you want someone to talk to, I'm here" he says, I smile at him thankfully.

I check the time on my phone, to realize that I'm ten minutes late. Shit.

I stand up "I got to go" I say to Aiden, which he nods at me.

"okay, see you later" he says. I nod

*___*

I enter Starbucks, searching for a mop of blonde hair. I find Austin sitting on a table on the side of the door. I walk there.

"sorry to keep you waiting" I say sitting down in front of him. He smiles at me, "it's fine though, I guess you overslept" he says.

I shake my head "I was talking with Aiden, so I lost track of time" I say without realizing.

Austin raises an eyebrow "Aiden? Who's that?" Austin asks.