Chapter 9

Aiden's POV

"can I say something weirder?" Emilie says. I bet what I said was weird enough. I thought. Why the hell did I open my big fat ass mouth and just go 'next to me'. Ughh

"okay" I whisper

"I wish I was there too" then she hung up.

I wish I was there too. I wish I was there too. I wish I was there too. Her words keep repeating. By now I am smiling like an idiot. Smiling. I haven't shown a real smile in a while. I wish I was there too. I groan loudly. God, stop. Stoop. Stop

I place my phone on my nightstand and lay on my back again facing the celling, well the dark since my lights are off. My eyes lids start to get heavy. And just before I close my eyes, I think about Emilie. To be specific, Emilie's blue eyes, the way they shine, the color of them almost sucked out. And by that I fall asleep with that thought.

*___*

I walk through the hallway trying to go to my locker. It's Monday. Yesterday, Sunday, was spent talking to Emilie over the phone. A new thing I discovered is that Emilie's a deep person. Whenever I ask her about something, she knows the answer, but she gives you the general meaning, since I ask about things, but not in a specific way. we talked about hope again, for a while, but then we start talking about the universe, how there are endless stars, endless galaxies, basically endless stuff. She recommended that I read a book called 'universe' she said I'll like it. So that's what on my list for now.

I stand in front of my locker, getting my books for first period. "shit, did you do the math homework?" I turn to Chase.

"yea I did it" I pause,

"thank god, I need to do it, or the teacher will kill me" Chase says.

"I won't let you copy it" I smirk, enjoying this. Chase eyes go wide "what?!! Why not?!!" Chase yells

"because" I say closing my locker.

Chase glares at me, but it doesn't affect me. Chase's eyes focus on something or someone behind me. He immediately goes there. I turn to see where Chase's going. I see him going to someone, I can't quite see. He moves sideways, so now I am able to see who it is. It's Emile.

Her brown hair is tied up in a loose ponytail at the nape of her neck, some strands falling over her face. She's wearing a black sweater, with matching black jeans. Her blue eyes are looking at Chase, confused while he talks. Realization passes through her face, to what Chase was saying.

"checking Emilie out huh?" it's Mason. Even without turning around I can tell from his comment. Either way I turn around to face him, rolling my eyes. "no, I'm not" I lie. I was definitely checking her out. "sure, you weren't." Mason teases me, but I ignore him.

Chase comes our way, waving a paper which I assume is his math homework. "I don't need your fucked-up Math homework any more Aiden" Chase says, as soon as he approaches us. I roll my eyes "did you copy it from Emilie?" I ask though I know the answer. "no, I didn't, I just borrowed her answer" Mason and I share a look.

"that's called copying, Chase" Mason says. Chase shrugs "who cares, I won't be murdered today"

"yay" Mason and I say sarcastically, which only made Chase glare.

The bell rings, and we immediately head to class, but just before I do, I glance at Emilie quickly. Our eyes locked, and she quickly looked away. I enter the class, sitting beside Chase, while Mason sits to some blondie I don't know, and don't care.

*___*

The bell rings, as the teacher was telling us that we need to write an essay. I gather my stuff and head to my locker.

After I shove my books in the locker, I decide to head to my next destination. The back of the school.

Emilie's probably there so that's why I'm heading there. As I expected Emilie's sitting there, writing in the same black notebook. I wonder what she writes in that notebook of hers.

"Hola, que estas escribiendo? ( hello, what are you writing?)" I ask her in Spanish as I sit next to her. I expected her not to understand a word I said, but to my surprise she answers with Spanish.

"oye, solo cosas al azar. (hey, just random stuff)" she answers.

"Youspeak spanish?" I say as i get out my lunch from my bag.

"yea, I'm half Spanish" she replies, closing the notebook. "You?"

I shake my head"i took Spanish lessons when I was young, since I lived in Spain for four years" I say

Emilie nods her head. This time she brings her lunch with her, which is a Nutella sandwich, such a coincidence since my lunch is the same thing.

"so, you let Chase copy your Math homework?" I take a bit from my sandwich.

"I helped him?" it came out as a question.

"hey, you know you don't have to sit with me here at lunch, right?" Emilie blurs.

I shake my head "I want to sit with you." I answer truthfully.

I see a tint of pink on her cheeks. She's blushing!

"so, is this book you recommended for me has something to do with the universe" I change the subject.

"yea. Well it's a story about a girl, but between almost each chapter there's this information that relates to the chapter before it. A fact about the universe, since the girl thinks a lot about the universe. So, most chapters end with questions that is answered in the next chapter." This is the most I've heard her talk. I just stare at her, dumbfounded.

"I'm boring you, aren't I?" she suddenly says. My eyes go wide

"no, no. it's just that this is the first time, I've heard you talk that much. I actually can't wait to read the book" I say honestly.

We spent the rest of lunch talking about the book. I'm planning on reading it after school.

*___*

I'm sitting on my bed reading the book. It's actually pretty good. I'm half way though the books before I hear my mother call my name.

I sigh and close the book. I head downstairs, to see my mother in a white dress, her hair is open curled at the end. I'm guessing she's going somewhere.

"hey Aiden. I'm going out, will you take care of Jessica for me?" she asks me.

I nod my head "sure mom. Have fun"

"will do. Thank you" she smiles at me.

It's eight by the time Jessica falls asleep. I tuck her in her bed, before I head out to my own room.

I lay down on the bed, grabbing my phone form my nightstand with me. I have a question on my mind, so I obviously send it to Emilie.

How large is space?

I wait for her to answer. Since I started reading the book, I had this question in my mind. I don't know why I want to know; I just do. I expected her to text me a number, not this.

The radius of the observable universe is therefore estimated to be about 46.5 billion light-years and its diameter about 28.5 gigaparsecs (93 billion light-years, 8.8×1023 kilometers or 5.5×1023 miles).

I stare at the phone. I blink once, twice, several times before I reply.

Wow

That's all I could say.