Chapter 12

Emilie's POV

I lay down on my bed, sighing loudly. I grab my phone still lying down. I go through my music list, not knowing what to listen to. I close my phone and stand up from my bed heading downstairs.

I reach the front door and put on my shoes before heading out of the house.

I decided to go for a walk, just to clear my mind.

Clear my mind about what?

Mom and Austin. I want to talk to mom about Austin and I don't know how. Yes, I haven't told my mom yet.

I mean, if my theory is correct and mom had nothing to do with the whole Austin situation, then I think she'll be happy, or will she be sad because I didn't tell her.

Austin. Well, every time I bring up the idea of trying to talk with mom about him, or if he should meet up with her something, he immediately changes the subject, I don't blame him though.

I walk through the neighborhood, the cold wind blowing making me snuggle deeper into my fuzzy hoodie.

I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt with a fuzzy, cotton hoodie on top of that, with some black sweatpants. It's pretty cold since 29thof December. Two more days then it's New year. I don't really have any plane for new year.

I was interrupted by someone's hand on my shoulder. I freeze, but then quickly turn around to come face to face with Mason.

I don't really talk to Mason, well I never really talked to him. Though Aiden talked about him.

"hey Emilie, what are you doing?" he greets me, smiling.

I shrug "hey, just had a lot on my mind, so I decided to take a walk"

He nods "I do that too. Actually, I am doing that now" he says

"I didn't know you lived in this neighborhood" Mason continue.

"neither did I" I reply.

We walk in silence for a moment, before Mason interrupts.

"maybe I can help?"

I turn to him confused. "help with what?"

"I can give you advice, on whatever is frustrating you" he offers

I think about it for a moment, before giving in.

"what if you wanted to do something for someone for their own good, but your scared it's either there reaction is not what you expected, or the problem will get worse. Do I make sense?" I try to phrase the situation without mentioning anything personal, as in my mom and Austin.

He nods, shoving his hands in his pockets, thinking. He nods to himself.

"it depends. Will it hurt that someone?" he asks.

Well, if I told mom about Austin, she may be upset and wouldn't talk to me. If I brought Austin home, while mom is in, she may shout at him and he may get hurt. Or the positive part, which would be accepting him.

I nod " it's an option." Mason looks at me, furrowing his eyebrows before saying "did you discuss whatever you're doing with that someone?"

I shake my head "every single time I try to bring it up, he avoids it" I say, sadly

Mason smiles at me, sadly "you should ask him before doing it. If he doesn't want to, you need to respect his decision. Sure, you can try a couple of times, but when he doesn't want to, you really cant do it" he speaks truthfully.

I nod. "thank you, Mason, I really needed that" I thank him.

He shrugs "no problem. Any friend of Aiden is a friend of mine"

I smile at him "now, tell me about yours maybe I can give you some advice" I say.

"well, let's just say family problems" he says, and I get that he doesn't want to speak about it.

We arrive at my house. I turn to Mason "well this is my stop" I gestured to my house.

Mason nods "see you later" he starts walking away but I call his name

"yeah?" he asks turning to me.

I smile at him "it's okay not to be okay. Were only humans "I raise my voice so he can hear me. He smiles.

"wise words Emilie" he shouts back, walking to his house.

I walk in my house. I head to my room. I grab. my guitar sitting on my bed. I play softly.

"swear to God, when I come home
I'm gonna hold you so close
I swear to God, when I come home
I'll never let go
Like a river, I flow
To the ocean, I know
You pull me close, guiding me home" I sing to Falling Like The Stars by James Arthur.

I open my mouth to sing the next verse, when someone knocks on my door.

I stop playing, "come in" I say.

My mom comes to view smiling at me.

"hey Emilie" she says, coming in

"hey mom, what's up?" I say.

"you remember Niki, right?" mom asks. I nod, Niki is Chase's mother.

"yea" I confirm.

"well, she invited us to have Dinner with her tonight" mom says.

"oh" I say. Mom nods, "I just wanted to tell you so you can get ready tonight" mom says.

I nod "alright then"

Mom smiles at me, "oh and there will be some friends of hers too" my mom says before heading out of my room closing the door behind her.

I don't really want to go to be honest. It has nothing to do with Niki, I just don't like to socialize with people.

I feel uncomfortable sitting with people, I am not familiar with. I feel out of place, I guess.

I sigh loudly, going back to playing my guitar. Play it until it's time to get ready.