chapter five- knives out

What a feeling to be a king beside you, somehow
I wish I could be there now.❞
―What A Feeling, One Direction

❞―What A Feeling, One Direction

|KNIVES OUT|

         "COME ON, FIGHT WITH ME," Finnick pleads as she continues to focus on throwing daggers at the dummies. "Finnick, don't turn 14 on me, go bother someone else," she says while trying to ignore him. "But if you want to-" Cordelia turns around to glare at her baby daddy. "Finnick, if you don't get out of my way I will fucking skin you alive," she sneers and he smirks at her. "There's my girl," he says and she rolls her eyes, now ignoring her heart racing when he called her his girl. 

          "I'm leaving," she says and his eyes widen, "Wait, princess-"  

         "Bye Finnick!"

            "How is it? Being away from your family?" Katniss whispers as she works on the plant puzzle. "Hard, especially being far away from my kids, I miss them," Cordelia says and she peels an apple with a knife. "Same goes for me, well- I don't have kids but being away from my mom and sister is hard," she says and Cordelia hums. "My daughter looks up to you," she says and Katniss looks at her in confusion. "Why?"

           "She says you are really brave and strong, she also likes your style, Cassia, that's her name." Katniss slightly smiles. "I looked up to you, I saw how you used the bow, you're really good. You won the games when I was like...7? You were my idol for the longest time," Katniss admits and Cordelia smiles. 

        "How 'bout I teach you a few moves? I picked up a few before and after the games," she offers and Katniss turns pink. "For what price?" Cordelia clicks her teeth, "We become allies, you remind me of myself and my daughter, I don't want to hurt you," she says softly and her features showed that too. Katniss smiles then she looks down, "Okay," she says and Cordelia bites her apples before slinging an arm over the younger girls' shoulders. 

         "C' mon."

     "So, you are pretty good with a bow, but are you quick? Can you move, run while shooting?" 'Delia asks and Katniss shakes her head. Cordelia gives her a pat on the back. "What me to give you an example?" She asks and Katniss sighs, "Please," she mutters and she hands her the bow. "Right, you might wanna get out," Cordelia says and loads an arrow in her bow. The room turns dark and she sees a bright yellow figure from the corner of her eye. She quickly turns around and shot it in the head. 

     Another figure shoots an arrow and she shot it, she shot the arrow before it shot her. She jumps over another figure and she takes an arrow and slams it in the hologram. She shoots another hologram and she does a backflip, killing another person mid-air. The holograms faded and the lights turn on again. Cordelia looks at Katniss, only to realize she isn't alone, she is stood beside the rest of the tributes. 

         "How am I suppose to do that?" Katniss asks with wide eyes and Cordelia smiles. "With practice, show us what you got and we'll start from there."

         "How did you become partners with her? I'm the nicer one," Finnick says while both of them go into the elevator. "You call meeting her with a net to cover up your junk nice?" Finnick crosses his arms. "Well I told her how Cassia likes her so much," she says and Finnick shakes his head. "You told her you wouldn't say anything if you met her," he says while slightly laughing and she shrugs. "And you told me you wouldn't feed them ice cream for breakfast."

      "Technically it was lunch."

"That doesn't mean it's okay!"

      Both of them look at each other before finally laughing. "You going to meet up there?" He asks and the doors open, revealing her floor. "Yup, want me to bring anything?" Finnick shakes his head. "Just your self," he says and he leans in to kiss her cheek but she got out of the elevator. "See you later," she whispers, leaving him sad and his heart aching. 

        "Tomorrow is your individual assessment, you both know what to do right?" Marsha asks the two victors and they nod. "Don't eat too much Brutus, if you get kill it's going to be messy!" She adds and Cordelia chuckles at Brutus' made face. "It's just a salad Marsh," he says and she lightly punches him in the arm. "Eating 4 salad bowls in one hour isn't healthy!"

     Cordelia realizes it was nearly time for the sun to set, she headed towards the rooftop with a skirt and shirt from home. "Hey, I thought you weren't going to meet me," he says and she sits next to him. "Just like old times...right?" She says and he turns a bit red. He holds her hand and her heart began to race. "Finnick-" she starts but he shakes his head. "Don't- just let it happen," he says and she looks at him before scooting closer to him and resting her head on his shoulder. 

      "What do you think they are doing right now?" She asks as they play with their hands together. "Caspian is probably helping your mother clean up the house, Cassia is probably learning how to shoot a bow," He says softly. "Maybe they are cooking something for dinner or-" He stops himself, "They are such great kids," he said shakily and Cordelia closes her eyes. 

      "When I was giving birth to them, I needed your hand to hold, I needed you to tell me everything was going to be fine, I needed you to share that moment with me. I just needed you. When I first looked at them All I could see was you a-and it hurt me because if I told you anything they would have been dead. My entire family would be gone and Finnick, I'm so sorry you had to miss everything because of-" tears came out of her eyes. 

        He hugs her, "It isn't your fault if it were the other way around I wouldn't tell you anything either, but our lives aren't over yet, I know it," he whispers and he presses his forehead against hers. "It will never be your fault."