chapter one- district 2

❝Look at me now, I'm falling
I can't even talk, still stuttering
This ground of mine keeps shaking❞
―Somebody To You, The Vamps

❝Look at me now, I'm fallingI can't even talk, still stutteringThis ground of mine keeps shaking❞―Somebody To You, The Vamps

|DISTRICT 2|

       "YOU WANT ME TO WHAT?" She asks President Snow and he continues to write in his journal. "Eliminate Katniss Everdeen," he says simply and she scoffs. "I heard you the first time, why?" She asks and he looks at her. 

         "She had caused people to rebel against the peacekeepers, we can't have that," he says and she hums. Plutarch Heavensbee had knocked on her door and he told her about his plan about Katniss Everdeen, their Mockingjay, he told her all about District 13 and their planned rebellion against the Capitol. How exactly were they going to get Katniss to fight for them? 

           "How am I suppose to do that?" She asks him and he looks back to his journal, "You'll see," he says and she left him alone. She left his mansion and she was taken to her Capitol home. 

   It had been exactly one year since the 74th Hunger Games and the Quarter Quell, it happens every 25 years. 

        "Where were you?" Finnick asks once he opens the door for her. "Snow called he wants me to do something him," she says and she took off her coat. "Here let me help you," he says and he helps her with the bags she was holding. 

            She looked at him and he smiles at her, over the one year he stayed, he got to know his children and he already decided to do anything for them the moment he met them. "Thanks," she mutters before walking to the living room. They stayed friends, but the Capitol has seen them around, and just like Snow wanted, their reunion had caused drama. 

           Their visitors had felt a large amount of sexual tension between the two, mostly Cato's the one who noticed it.  "Mom, dad gave me ice cream for breakfast!" Caspian says as he jumps into his mother's arms, making her fall into the couch holding onto him. "Did he now?" She asks while giving Finnick a look, "You said you wouldn't tell her," he mutters and she rolls her eyes. "Where's your sister?" 'Delia asks and Caspian rolls his eyes. 

          "She's in the bathroom, she says she wanted to 'practice her makeup' and I was like 'why?' She said it was 'for fun' but I think it's because there's a boy at school and she likes him.

        "A boy? I don't think so, Cassia, come 'ere!" Finnick yells and the three of them hear a door slam. "Yes, da- mommy!" Cassia yells and she jumps on Cordelia. "Ouch," she mutters and Finnick picks up his daughter. "Do you like a boy at school?" He asks her as Caspian stuck his tongue out at his sister while cuddling next to his mom. "Me? Never daddy," she fibs and Cordelia laughs at Finnick's emotionless face. "You better not, your brother and I are the only boys allowed in your life, same goes for girls too," he says and he kisses her forehead. 

         "What did Snow need to tell you?" Finnick asks her and Cordelia picks at her nails. "To assassinate someone," she says bluntly and he chokes on his saliva, "Are you going to do it?" He asks and she looks at the photo of her entire family, Finnick included. She still loved him, she just can't bring it to herself to accept it at the moment. "I don't know."

     "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 75th year of the hunger games," President Snow starts and the people of the Capitol clap. "I told you to lay off the chips, I wanted some for later!" Cassia tells her brother and Cordelia shushes them. "I have a bad feeling," Finnick whisper to 'Delia and she gulps before giving her attention to the hologram t.v. 

         "-We celebrate the third Quater Quell...as a reminder that even the strongest can't overcome the power of the Capitol. On this- the Quarter Quell games,  the male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of victors in each district!" He announces and Cordelia let out a deep breath. "No," Finnick whispers, and their kids walked into the living room. 

        "What does he mean?" Caspian asks their parents and Cordelia stands up. "It means you need to stay with grandma and uncle Cato," she whispers and she hugs her kids. "No I don't want you to leave," Cassia yells as she thrashed in her mother's arms. Finnick picks her up, "We are only leaving for a while, I promise," he says and she starts to cry. "Mommy don't leave," Caspian says and she hugs him tighter. 

           "Mom, Cato take care of them if you two hear or see anything suspicious, take them and run, I can't lose you and I can't lose them," Cordelia tells her mom and brother. Esther kisses her daughter's cheek. "Be careful, Enobaria might want to volunteer if you get picked," she says and Cordelia sighs before nodding. "If you get chosen...win," Cato says and she hugs him before hugging her children, who were saying goodbye to Finnick. 

        "C' mon," Finnick says and he takes her hand. The two adults walk to the train station, "Finnick w-what if we never see them again?" She asks and he grabs her shoulders. "Don't say that; we will see them," he says and he hugs his best friend. Cordelia's train was the first to arrive she said her goodbye's to Finnick. 

      The tributes of District 2 stood up on stage with Marsha coming up with a huge fake smile. "Welcome everyone! As we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Hunger Games and to pick our tributes for the third Quarter Quell!" She says and the people haven't made a sound. Marsha clears her throat, "Ladies first," she says and she walks to the glass bowl. She picks up a paper and she opens it. "The female tribute for District 2 is...Cordelia Hadley" 

           Enobaria hadn't raised her voice so it was obvious she didn't want to volunteer. "Very good. Now for the boys," Marsha says and she picks up the paper in the bowl. "And the male tribute for District to is...Brutus Holmes," Marsha says and both tributes look at each other before shaking hands. 

           "You were my mentor, my friend, my family, now you just want to ignore me?" Cordelia asks him and he says nothing. "Fuck you then," she sneers before going into her room. 

         The two of them were on their way back to the Capitol both isolating themselves to think about what has happened. "Fuck you, Snow, just wait, I'm going to be the one to kill you," she whispers to herself and she looked at the small photograph in her gold locket. A picture of Caspian on one half and Cassia on the other. 

          Cordelia realized as long as he is alive she and her children would never be safe. If Cordelia is away from her family they are an open target if she doesn't kill Katniss Everdeen...he could kill them.  

            Cato and her mother are strong people, but against multiple peacekeepers, they won't stand a chance. 

         "Finnick, Mags, good to see you," Cordelia says and she hugs Mags, who smiles and pats her shoulders. Cordelia awkwardly smiles at Finnick and he gives her a pained smile before they proceeded inside.