chapter five- late at night

Trying my best to meet somebody

But everybody around me's
fallin' in love to our song,

― I'm so tired..., Lauv & Troye Sivan

, Lauv & Troye Sivan

|LATE AT NIGHT|

         "WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE THING YOU LIKE TO DO AT HOME?" Finnick asks Cordelia once he sat down across from her. "Probably dueling," she says and he shakes his head. "I don't think that's true," he said and she licks her bottom lip. "Painting, when I was younger my father introduced it to me and I fell in love with it ever since," she said and he grabs her hand, gently caressing it. 

      "I wish I could have seen them, you are probably amazing," he tells her and she scoffs. "They still look like a two-year-old's, my brother can paint better than me and he is 9," she says and he laughs, making her laugh as well. "Still wish to them," he says and she rolls her eyes with a hint of a smile on her face. "Tell me about your family," she says and she drinks some of the water. 

      "Well my father is a fisherman, my mother sells jewelry, I'm the only child," he says and she nods. "If you win, what would you do?" She asks him and he leans back, still holding onto her hand. "If I win...I'm not sure what I'd do," he says unsurely and Cordelia slightly smiles. 

       "I'm not sure what I'd do either, probably recovery, killing people isn't an easy process to go through," she says and he nods. "Do you think you can win? You have the skills but, can you do it?" He asks and she gulps, taking away her hand. "I can, but I will have no allies-"

     "I can be your ally," he offers and she shakes her head slowly. "I don't want an ally, I do better alone," she says and he gives her a small smile. "Want to eat? I made sushi," he says and she gives him a look. "You...made food?" She asks in confusion and he nods before picking up the silver cover. "Why the tone of surprise?" He asks her while laughing. Cordelia takes a bite out of a roll and she looks at him in amazement. 

     "It's so good," she says and he blushes. "I used to make it before I go to school, my mom taught me," he says and she nods. "You should teach me in the afterlife," she says and he gives her a small smile. "Oh and..." he lifts another sliver cover to reveal a small mountain of sugar cubes. "That's cute, I made you an addict," she teases and he smiles. "I like sweet things," he says and she knew he wasn't talking about the sugar cubes. 

       The two ate in comfortable silence, both with questions about each other in their heads. "Are you a virgin?" Finnick asks her, making her choke on her drink. "I- no, I'm not," she says and he sighs. "Well, at least there's one lucky person on this earth," Finnick tells her and she rolls her eyes. "Whatever, what about you?" She asked the 14-year-old. Finnick turns red, "I'm a virgin," he says and she raises an eyebrow. "You sure don't act like it," she said and he looks at her in confusion.

       "C' mon, you don't expect me to not notice the flirting going on between you and every female tribute," she says with a smirk and he turns red. "Not all of them, I don't like my partner," he said and she laughs. "Whatever," she mutters and he rests his jaw onto his hand. "So how was it?" He asks and she looks up at him. "How was what?" She asks while copying his actions.

    "Having sex? Did you enjoy it? Did they pleasure you right?" He asks with a tone of jealousy. "It was fine," she says and he smirks. "If you and I had the chance to...you know, you wouldn't regret it," he says and she gives him a fake smile. "In your dreams, Odair," she says and he laughs. "You have no idea," he mutters but she heard clearly. The sky had turned grey and from little to no time, the rain was falling on the two. "Want to dance in the rain?" He asks her and she looks at him in confusion.

     "Is that from something?" She asks and he stands up, the scene feeling familiar to both of them. "C' mon," he says and she takes his hand, he helps her up and he places his hands around her waist. "I'm not good," she says and he twirls her around and she stepped on his foot. 

       "Ow!" He yells and she gives him a look. "I told you I wasn't good at dancing," she reminds him and he shakes his head. "And I told you neither was I," he replies and both of them danced in the rain. 

     Something about that night made them closer, made them understand what the world had to offer. Life, was only a step, living it to the fullest is the next, but being stuck in their world- their game, neither them or the rest of the people can have the right to live life, to actually understand it. In another world, you can live life and fall in love and die happily. For Cordelia and Finnick, they only get to play pawns at the hands of their president. 

          Cordelia rests her head on his shoulder as Finnick rest his chin upon her head. Both slowly twirling in the rain, each other's lives in the arms of the opposite. He wanted her, but did he know that? 

             "Being with you brings out a different side of me," he says and she looks at him. "I have to agree, you make me not...bitchy," she says and he smirks while putting a loose strand behind her ear. "I kinda like you bitchy, it's hot," he says and she rolls her eyes. "Thanks," she says, not really meaning it. He smiles down at her, he presses his forehead against hers, both of them under the rain, arms wrapped around each other, dancing. 

           Being only the age of 16 and 14 neither of them knew what the word love meant. But whatever it is...they have it.