prologue - reaping

Confidence your thing

Naturally, you find a way

Rock your hips
and make them wait,

―Basic, Nights

|REAPING|

        "I'M GLAD YOU ARE ONLY 9," Cordelia Hadley tells her little brother, Cato. "I want to be a volunteer, I want to make papa proud," he says and Cordelia shakes her head. "He is proud of both of us, Cato, but you are too young," she says and he sighs before hugging his only sibling, his big sister, Cordelia. "'Delia, darling, it's time," her mother had called from down the stairs. 

  Today was the annual reaping for the 65th Hunger games and she was excited. She had trained so long for it and she knows she has everything in her to win. "You are going to volunteer aren't you?" Cato asks her and she gives him a smile. "Of course, I am ready for it," she said and she kisses his forehead. "Go, I'll see you downstairs."

  Everyone in District 2 knows Cordelia Hadley, she was the most perfect girl there. Not only is she beautiful and rich she is resourceful and is very deadly. The 16-year-old is known to be extremely efficient in all the weapons that she could ever name. From small daggers to huge swords. 

  District 2 is known to have many lethal victors, they were trained and Cordelia just happened to outshine them all. 

  Everyone stood in perfect rows, both genders separated and organized. "Happy Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" Marsha, District 2's escort, exclaims loudly. "As usual, ladies first!"

  She walked her fashion designer self towards a glass filled with many folded papers. She slowly grabs one and Cordelia Hadley smirks in excitement. "The female tribute for District 2...Cordelia Hadley! Where are you dear?" Cordelia didn't have to volunteer, she was chosen. As she walked out to the crowd many people started to pity her, she shouldn't be in such a place. "Cordelia Hadley everyone!" Marsha exclaims and she walks to the boys' side. 

   "The male tribute for District 2, Dino Willow!" Marsha says but another boy got out of the crowd. "I volunteer!" Everyone hears a 15-year-old yell. "A volunteer, what a surprise!" Marsha says sarcastically. "What is your name?" She asks the boy who just came up. "Xavi Rosier," he says and Marsha hums. "Xavi Rosier and Cordelia Hadley, District 2's 65th Hunger games tributes! Shake hands," she tells them and Cordelia gave Xavi a glare as she shook his hand. 

  Cordelia was brought to the back where her family was waiting, "Take as long as you need!" Marsha tells the rich family and Cato gave her a glare as she left them alone. "They will have plenty of sponsors for you, I know it," her mother says as she tries to hold in the tears. "Mama, I will win, don't worry," she says cockily and her mother kisses her forehead. "You are my little girl, I can't help but feel scared," she whispers and she gives Cordelia a hug. "Cordelia is smart, Esther, she will come back as a victor," Cordelia's father said and they all nod. 

  "You show everyone what it means to be a queen, dearie," Esther says as she let her husband hug their daughter. "I will make sure everything goes perfect, you deserve just that," he tells her and she hugs him back. "Don't worry papa, I got this," she whispers as they let each other go. "Please win, I can't live without you," Cato tells her and she hugs him. "No worries Kitty, I will win just for you, my little brother," she whispers the last part and his eyes began to tear.

  A knock came at the door, "We have to leave to the capital sooner than we thought," a peacekeeper says and Cordelia's heart pounded. "I won't let you down," she tells her family before grabbing her coat. "I love you!" She yells and she only hears Cato yell it back over the cries of their mother. 

    "We should be allies, Cordelia, we are from the same district," Xavi tells her as he sat down close to her. The train moved fast and Cordelia was annoyed at little Xavi. "I am going to kill you, Rosier, you will have to make another one," she spits out and he rolls his eyes. "Why are you so uptight, Hadley? You're a girl, girls are weak and they defiantly won't win," he whispers the last part and she smashed her glass against his head. "Oh, my Snow!" Marsha yells as Cordelia stands up.

   "My gender doesn't determine if I'm weak or not, a girl is just as capable to win the games, I will make sure of to remind you when I slit your fucking throat," she sneers before leaving.

    "You are reckless, I'll give you that," she hears someone say behind her. She turns around to face a man, "Bortus, you must be our mentor," she says and he nods. Bortus and the Hadley family are quite close. He happens to be the cousin of her father, James.

     "How are you, sweets?" He asks her and she smiles. "I'm on my way to kill a bunch of people, just fine!" She says and he laughs. "One out of 2 things I was excited for," he says and she crosses her arms. 

   "What do you know about the other tributes," she asks and he smirks. "Glad you asked," he says and he pulls her to the television room.

   "District 1, Thomas Greyheart and Eliza Playne, both 17, weak but incredibly good actors which means they can get a lot of sponsors," he says and she took note of how they looked like. "District 3, Jace Horace- 13 and Sofiya Mellase- 12, they are nothing special, moving onto District 4, Finnick Odair age 14 and Jolie-Anne Mase age 15, Finnick- I hear is a charming bastard with a good smile, could be a possible enemy. As of Jolie-Anne, she can swim fast."

   A picture of the District 4 tributes had popped up and she defiantly felt threatened by the tall looking 14-year-old. "He's going to get a lot of sponsors," she mutters bitterly and he pats her back. "Don't worry 'Delia, you are going to win," he says and she continues to glare at the pair. 

    "Tell me about the others."