chapter two- tributes

❝I'mma make you scream my name

I'mma make you glad you came,❞

―Or Nah, SoMo

|TRIBUTES|

               KATNISS EVERDEEN AND PEETA MELARK WERE ON THEIR WAY TO THE CAPITOL. "Forget anything you think you know about the games, last year was child's play. This year you are dealing with all experienced killers," Haymitch Abernathy tells the two teens. "Alright, what does that mean for us?" Peeta asks and Haymitch took a drink of his alcohol. "That means you are going to have to have some allies," he says and Peeta nods. "Okay, I think that if we-"

           Haymitch cuts him off, "You're not the problem," he says and he points at Katniss, she shakes her head. "No," she says cleary and Haymitch put down his drink. "Look, you're starting at a disadvantage, these people have been friends for years," he says and Katniss gives him a 'what the fuck' face. "That just brings us higher on their kill list," she says and Haymitch rolls his eyes. "Do it your own way but I know these people. You go in alone, their first move is to hunt you down, both of you," he says then he leans back. 

             "Katniss come on," Peeta says and Katniss turns back to Haymitch. "How can any of us even trust each other?" She asks and Haymitch leans in. "It's not about trust, it's about staying alive."

          "District 1, Cashmere and Gloss, brother and sister, won back to back. Capitol favorites, lots of sponsors, they will be lethal," Haymitch says before clicking the switch. "The other half of the career pack, Brutus and-"

           "Isn't that Cato's sister?" Peeta asks and Katniss looks at the girl intensely. "Yeah, a true gem of the Capitol, loved by many," Haymitch said while looking at his friend on the screen. "How dangerous is she?" Katniss asks and Haymitch let out a shaky breath. 

           "Very, got a 12 on her private assessment, first-ever, you have to become allies with her or else she would literally murder you on the spot," Haymitch says and Katniss glares at the footage of her killing her fellow tributes. "I'll come back to her later, moving on, Wiress and Beetee, not fighters but are both brilliant people a-and weird. Beetee won his games by electrocuting 6 tributes at once. District 6, morphlings, masters of camouflage. They won their games by hiding until everyone else was dead, not a threat," he says and Peeta looks at the screen. 

        "That's a mood," he says and Katniss rolled her eyes. Haymitch clicked the button again and a man wearing white stood there. "Finnick Odair right?" Katniss asks and Haymitch sighs. "Yes, he won his games at 14, youngest ever, extremely humble," Haymitch says sarcastically. "You're kidding right?" 

         "Of course I'm kidding, he's a peacock, a total whatever. But he's the Capitol's darling," Haymitch continues to go off about him and then he sighs. "Which brings me back to Cordelia Hadley. They won their games together," he says and Katniss gives Peeta a look.

         "What do you mean?" She asks and Haymitch clicks the screen back to her. "No one really knows about this, Finnick told me what happened, I'm not sure if told anyone else but technically you copied them."

          "They acted like they were in love and pretended to die for each other?" Peeta asks and Katniss looks at the footage of young Finnick and young Cordelia kissing in the arena. 

     "No and yes, Cordelia isn't just deadly with just about every weapon on earth; she is the smartest person I know. She found dream shade pearls, most dangerous poison ever, that's how they won. However, the difference between you and them is that they actually loved each other," Haymitch says and a bunch of their posters was pulled up on the screen. "They supposedly had a fallout and they separated, until last year when the reunited and he met his long lost children."

           "Long lost children?" Peeta asks and Haymitch takes a drink. "She was pregnant after the games, their kids cute, her daughter is annoying but I like her son, moving on-"

           "She became a mom at 16 and he became a dad at 14? That's insane," Katniss says and Haymitch rolls his eyes. "Don't judge, Katniss, especially in front of her, moving on, Mags Flanagan, volunteered in place for Annie Cresta," he says and Peeta crosses his arms. "So Mags is his weakness?" He says after Finnick hugs her. 

          "Yes, she was his mentor, very good friends. The only way you can get him to crack his by killing his children, Mags, and the fucking love of his life, but since their kids aren't there, it's just the two of 'em, but if you hurt either of them I'll kill you myself,"

         "A guy like that has to know she won't survive," she says, talking about Mags, and Haymitch purses his lips. "Let's say when she goes she goes quick, she's actually a wonderful lady," he says and Katniss looks down. 

         "Oh dear dear dear! Don't you look lovely!" Essie Trinket says as she walks up to Cordelia. "Hey, Ess, who's this?" She asks as she sees a woman trailing behind her. "This is my little sister, Effie-"

           "Effie Trinket, oh it's a pleasure to finally meet you, Cordelia Hadley, I have been waiting for this moment. Your daughter looks just like you and your son, a gem, I'm an escort for District 12 but-" Effie gets cut off by Essie. "Okay, I have to get her ready,  go look at Katniss," she says and she pushes Effie out. "My sister always was the dramatic one, now...what do I want you to wear?"

        "You are a sex symbol for the city, I'm going to make you look like it," she says and she pulls out her idea from a bag. "It's see-through," Cordelia states while glaring at the outfit. "Your chest will be covered with diamonds, black diamonds, and glitter!" Essie exclaims and Cordelia scoffs. "What am I supposed to wear on the bottom? A thong?" 

       "Not a bad idea."

      "Essie!"

       "Kidding! You'll be wearing a tight leather skirt― and a choker!" Essie exclaims and Cordelia sighs before nodding. "Let's get it over with."