[14] "Look Pretty"

GRANT PULLS into his driveway, slowly rolling into the garage and cutting the engine. I step out, wincing at the damp leather interior I'm leaving behind.

"It's alright," Grant says, noticing my expression.

I really can't keep my emotions off my face.

I blush, following him inside and basking in the warmth. I toe off my shoes and place them on the mat in the foyer, Grant kicking his shoes off and calling for Dustin, his brother. He lets him know we're inside and I hear a faint "okay" yelled back.

     I take a seat at his kitchen counter, sighing and putting my head in my hands. It's been a long day and I need a moment to take a breath. For the most part, I never have to deal with drama just because I'm never involved with my circles being so small and all. Now, Leila has drug me into her drama which I'm never in and I try to make sure of that. This is why my friends are my friends...no drama.

     "Are you okay?" Grant asks, taking a seat next to me and placing a hand on my back.

     "I'm okay. It's just been one heck of a day," I say.

     "I know...you wanna watch a movie and nap until it's safe to drop you back off at home?" Grant asks.

     "Ugh, this is why you're my best friend—you know me too well," I say, already standing from my seat and making my way to his couch.

     My sweatshirt isn't too damp and shouldn't be a problem, so I take a seat on the couch, grabbing a blanket as I sit. Grant takes a seat next to me, fiddling with the remote in order to find the Netflix app.

     "Did Archer do anything to you? You know you can tell me right? Because if he did—"

     "Hey, Archer didn't do anything. I mean, it's Archer Cross. He can't afford to do anything without some major investigations," I shrug.

     "Hmm, you're right," he says, clicking the "play from beginning" button and tossing the remote.

     I'm assuming I'll be able to go back home within the hour. I've probably already been gone for at least forty five minutes, so Leila has had some time to calm down. My adoptive parents will probably have to let me in, but we all know how normal this is.

     "Did you want any food?" Grant asks, interrupting my thoughts.

     "No, I'm okay, thanks. Archer fed me," I say, eyes trained on the TV.

What can I say? Grey's Anatomy is my favorite show.

     "Ah," he humphs, not saying anything more.

     My eyes start drooping and I know I'm going to be a goner soon. I'll probably have a half an hour to sleep before Grant wakes me up to take me home. I really need to start paying him gas money for carting me out of cornered situations.

"And you're sure you're okay?" Grant asks and I feel him shift beside me.

"Yes...why do you think otherwise?" I ask.

"It's Archer. You wouldn't stand a chance if he ever decided to pull something..." he says.

"Hey! I'd like to think I could at least do something," I say, pouting playfully.

"Ha, I could do something. You...you just sit there and look pretty," he chuckles.

I laugh, saying, "I'm offended."

He shrugs, telling me, "It's only the truth."

I shake my head, muttering an 'oh brother' under my breath. He obviously hears as he laughs and we both turn our attention back to the TV.