Chapter 16: A Bad Face

Start from the beginning

"That's not what I meant!"

Ana walked calmly, softly humming a tune under her breathe. She had been walking for a few minutes now, still not returning back. She faced the darkening sky, closing her eyes and just listening to the ambience of nature.

Before she could continue to enjoy the calm breeze and silence, she heard a soft hiss just below to her left. 

Ana's eyes snapped open.

'This kind of hiss...! I can't be mistaken! it's a...'

She calmly face ahead, slowly turning to the source.

'A snake.'

There on the ground was a snake with the body pattern consisting of a pale gray, reddish-brown background, overlaid with a series of irregularly-shaped lateral blotches. The blotches were bordered with black and have lighter centers. The head was dark brown or black, with beige or pale-gray sides. It seemed to have a length of approximately ninety-one centimeters.

The lone snake was currently curled around itself, looking at her in a somewhat akin to curiosity look. Ana tilted her head, the snake copied her movement. 

She knelt down slowly, taking long and slow even breathes. The snake didn't attack her, that was good.

She slowly settled her kneeling form in front of the snake, lowering her face a bit. The snake rose up, leveling its head to her eyes and tasting the air around her. After inhaling softly, Ana stretched her right arm outwards to the snake. The snake stared at her arm for what felt like an hour before slithering around it. She stood back up.

Ana was absolutely delighted, but she couldn't outright cheer right now or she would startle the snake, which turned out to be a male.

He continue to slither around her arm until he reached her neck, he did not choke nor bite her. He just wrapped himself comfortably there and was now staring at Ana from her right side, a few inches away.

Ana looked at him, speaking in a soft voice.

"You know what? I need a name for you." She put a finger on her chin, starting to walk back to where Lalaine and the others are, thinking of something, "My favorite subjects are Science and English. Science is currently at the top right now so English."

She threw her fist up in the air, "From this fateful day onward, thou shall be named as the good Sir William Snakespeare, also known as William or Will!"

All throughout the journey back to camp, Ana chattered softly to the deadly venomous snake dozing off around her neck.

It was night time when Ana returned to Senku.

Senku just finished their bonfire and Kohaku was a few distances away, checking her large container of water for any scratch or broken pieces. Thankfully, there was none.

Senku turned around when he heard the familiar footsteps of his companion. 

"Oh, Ana? You're back? It's already dark, any longer and I'll be out looking for you-" 

Senku slapped a hand on his own mouth just in time when he was about to scream.

The blonde, who heard his sudden abruptness looked at him with a questioning look before it also turned into a horrified expression. 

Before she could scream, Senku covered her mouth with his other hand. 

"Don't scream..." He whispered, Ana tilted her head at his actions.