Chapter 17: Smelly Cat

Start from the beginning

As soon as I was outside, I took a few deep breaths and checked the time on my phone. Mom said the pizza would be there in less than half an hour and it was about a eighteen minute bike ride home. If I peddled quickly, I should make it with more than enough time to spare.

I picked up my bike and walked it down to the sidewalk where Nate was standing. I stopped and faced him.

"You...I should go," I stammered.

I threw my leg over and sat down. My hands clutched the handlebars and I would have been off if it weren't for Nate standing directly in path.

He leaned forward and placed his hands over mine, grasping both them and the handles tightly.

"Not so fast," he said. "You're always running off."

I shook my head. This time I actually had a valid reason. Mom would be pissed if the pizza guy got there and no one was there to get it.

"See, I'm here trying so hard to figure you out but it's like trying to read an instruction manual in Japanese."

"I'm not worth figuring out, I promise you," I replied quickly, unable to keep the urgency from my voice.

"Aren't you though?"

I blinked and there he was, less than a few inches from my face. He was so close I could see the faded freckles that dotted the apples of his cheeks. Had they always been there?
His grey eyes peered at me, crinkled around the corners with amusement. The last time he was this close, we'd kissed. And just like last time, every cell in my body begged for him. For his touch.

"Ciara?" he breathed. The way my name sounded on his tongue sent tingles down my spine. And though I'm sure I could listen to him talk all day, I didn't give him the chance to say another word.

I closed the distance between us, meeting his lips with such a fervour our teeth clanged. There was no hesitation this time. He released my hands to pull me in closer. As our bodies collided, my thoughts melted away. I couldn't remember why I was so worried only seconds ago. I couldn't conjure up a thought that didn't involve him. And the way he felt pressed against me. He became the sun in my solar system, and I revolved solely around him. And just when I thought this couldn't get any better, he released a soft groan from deep within and I just about melted. Until, I felt myself literally falling. I pulled back just in time to plant both feet firmly on the ground, saving both Nate and I from certain disaster.

We shared a look before dissolving into a fit a laughter. "You should see the look on your face," Nate said between chuckles.

I shook my head. "You should see yours!" I countered.

As we sobered, my prior train of thought came rushing back. I straightened and I didn't need to check the time to know that I'd wasted too much of it.

"Shit," I exclaimed.

Nate's brows furrowed in confusion. "What?"

I just shook my head and turned my handle bars, angling away from him.

"I'll see you later," I said before I pushed off.

I'd like to say I didn't look back, but then I'd be lying.

***

I pulled up at the same time the pizza guy was getting out of his car. I greeted him in the driveway and beckoned him to the front door. I ran inside, grabbed a few bills mom kept underneath the flower pot on the dinning room table and rushed back to the door. I handed him the bills making sure he got a proper tip before I took the box of pizza and along with the brown paper bag. I thanked him once more before shutting the door. I placed the pizza down on the table and then took big, hulking breaths. I wasn't sure how I managed to get here so fast and I'm sure every inch of my legs were going to be sore come morning but it was worth it. Rather than standing there, reminiscing about twenty minutes ago, I reached for the box and opened it. A large Hawaiian with bacon and pineapple and ham stared back at me, looking absolutely scrumptious.