Slow Song

Did I base this chapter off a real experience because I'm that narcissistic? Yes. Yes I did. (In case you're wondering - my girlfriend and I are Sophie and Biana).

Also so sorry for such a short chapter!

Keefe looked around at the prodigies.  Some of them in a tight embrace, others of them swaying to themselves.  "Wanna dance?"

Dex raised an eyebrow from his spot across the booth.  "It's a slow song..."

Keefe huffed out a sigh.  "I know - just... If you don't want to we don't have to.  I just figured..."

"No, it's okay.  I get it.  For the thing."

"Yeah," Keefe's heart deflated a little, "for the thing."

Dex gave one last look at the others before standing up and offering his hand to Keefe who took it with minor caution.  "Can we just stay here though?  I don't really want to go to the middle of the big group - especially in case they play another crazy song again."

Keefe snorted, wrapping his arms around Dex's waist and gently swaying them to the soft beat of the music.  He felt Dex hesitate before resting his hands on Keefe's shoulders and putting his cheek down as well.

.-.

"Oh my God!"  Biana squealed, gripping Sophie's arms, and then her face, and then her hands, before finally settling on her arms again.

"I know!"  Sophie squeaked, her hands also traveling for a place where they could grip onto the Vacker girl.  "They're so cute!"

"I feel like a proud mother!"

Sophie gave a deep inhale.  "I'm going to cry."

.-.

Keefe's head turned so that it was in Dex's strawberry-blond hair.  Biana must've had him use some of her hair product because he smelled of honey.  "I don't think I ever really properly thanked you."  Keefe whispered.

Dex's emotions when from a flushed calm to a quiet-anxious flustered.  "It's okay.  Creepy teachers are gross and all we're doing is dancing.  No need to thank me."

"Still," Keefe shrugged, "thank you.  It means a lot.  And I am sorry that I freaked out and told her it was you before I could ask your permission."

Dex sighed and shook his head, but didn't say anything more.

.-.

"Oh my Gooood."  Biana whispered.  "Dex just closed his eyes."

"I know."  Sophie's grip on the other tightened.  "This is so cute."

.-.

Dex wished he could just stay there.  Never move - never have to move.

He hoped this song never ended.

.-.

"Dex?"

"Hm?"

"You okay?"  Keefe had felt Dex's emotions change again.

"I'm okay."  Dex nodded as his arms moved.  They wrapped themselves around Keefe's neck.

Keefe stopped swaying them so that he could give the boy a proper hug.  "You mean a lot to me."  The words came out as a mumble and he hadn't been expecting the Technopath to reply.

"You mean a lot to me too."

They continued to sway back and fourth again.  They stayed like that for two or so more minutes before Keefe recognized the song's ending coming on.

He pulled his nose out of Dex's hair and looked down into the periwinkle eyes suddenly looking back up at him.  All he could see was Dex.

He opened his mouth to say something before he was cut off.

"Can I kiss you?"

Dex quickly realized what he'd said because his emotions were overcome with anxiety, fear, embarrassment, and, sadly, shame before he caught himself.  "For the bit, I mean."

Keefe's heart gave a tiny leap, beginning to pound as he nodded.  "For the bit," he breathed.

It wasn't a kiss that belonged in the movies and it definitely wasn't all too graceful, but it was perfect.  It was soft and perfect and then it was over and the song had stopped.

Dex looked from Keefe's right eye to his left back and fourth again and again as if he couldn't choose which one he liked more.

The Empath had no clue what to say.  "We should do that more often.  I mean, we, uh - we can do that now from time to time to make it look more real."  Not quite what he'd been meaning to say...

Dex bit his bottom lip and nodded.  His hands moved back to Keefe's shoulders.  "I wouldn't mind that."

"Me neither."

His mouth quirked up a bit, but not enough to show any sign of a dimple as Dex looked back down.  "Yeah."

"WOO!"  Someone cheered and Keefe's head snapped back to where the massive group of students were, all of them suddenly jumping to an upbeat song.  Whoever had chosen the music for this thing did not know how to gracefully end a mood.

Dex cleared his throat.  "We should probably sit back down."

"Yeah."

Keefe's hand gripped the other's as he slid back into the booth, Dex taking a seat next to him.  He carefully looked over at the Dizznee who, surprisingly, had dimpled just barely caved into his cheeks.  He gave Dex's hand a quick squeeze.