prologue- hey brother

|HEY BROTHER|

|HEY BROTHER|

         "YOU ARE AN IDIOT!" Cordelia tells her little brother after he volunteered for the 74th Hunger Games. "I'm just as good as you and I'm a guy so I won't get pregnant," he says and she rolls her eyes. "You are going to lose," she says and he crosses his arms. "Why do you say that?" He asks and she gives him a look. "You have a stupid loudmouth," she says and he threw a pillow at her, making her laugh.

          The 74th Hunger games have started and Cordelia knew her brother would be fine for the first part. "Here to see President Snow?" The game maker asks her and she nods. Cordelia walks into his garden and a little girl, her kid's age, was on the floor picking at the flowers. "Snow," she calls and he looks at her. "Come here," he says and she walks beside him. 

       "Who's the girl?" She asks him and he looks to where Cordelia is looking at. "Your cousin," he says and she looks at the girl in surprise. "Cool, can we talk about my brother?" She asks and he hands her a water pot. "Help me water them," he says and she sighs before listening. "What about your brother?" He asks and she waters the roses. 

       Over the past 4 years, Snow became more gentle towards his oldest granddaughter. He canceled her prostitution but he gives her the money she would have gotten from it. "I'm sure you know he's in the games and well I told you how stupid he is, he's going to get himself killed," she says and he hmms. "I can't lose my brother, no one except my children and I care about him, fake his death, please," she says and he looks at her. "What do I get in return?" He asks and she purses her lips. 

     "What do you want?" She asks him and he smiles. "Give me a hug," he says and she looks at him in confusion. He gives her a hug, "Bring your children here, your cousin has no friends and she needs to be around people her age, think you can do that?" He asks before he pulls away. "Yeah, but if you think I'm just leaving them with you, you are mistaken, my mother is coming with me," she says and he nods. "Even better. Oh and I've been thinking about it, the Capitol need a good drama, tell Finnick Odair about his children," He says and his focus is brought back to his roses. 

       "You're kidding," she stutters out and he let out a cold laugh. "I'm not, I'll send someone to bring your family over here and I will fake your brother's death," he says and she walks away passing her little cousin. 

         Cordelia had both her children heads laying on her stomach, sleeping as she watches the District 12 duo against Cato. "Are those mutts the past tributes?" She asks Brutus quietly as he is sitting down on the couch opposite of her. "Yeah, smart," he says and she hums in response. Cato is throwing Peeta around as Katniss is struggling to get up. Cato punches Peeta before grabbing Katniss and choking her over the edge where the mutts were.

       Peeta runs behind Cato and he lifts him off of Katniss before throwing him to the floor. "Your brother is a strong beefy boy against Peeta, I'm surprised he can pick up the fatass," Brutus jokes making Cordelia shake her head. Katniss grabs hold of her bow and Cato has his arms wrapped about Peeta's neck. "Go on...shoot," he starts as blood leaks out of his mouth. 

      "Then we both go down and you win," he says and the sight of him breaks his sister's heart. "Go on, I'm dead anyway," he cries and 'Delia gulps. "Please Snow," she whispers and Cato starts to cry more. "I always was right? I didn't- I didn't know that till now, that's what you want right?"

       Katniss prepares her aim and he tightens his grip on Peeta, "I can still do this, one more kill, it's the only thing I know how to do," he whispers the last part and Cordelia's eyes tear up. "I can bring pride to my District, to my sister, not that it matters," he says Katniss shoots him in the arm making him yell in pain. Peeta punches her little brother in the arm and he pushes him off the structure. 

      After that, they pulled what she and Finnick did, but with nightlock. "I thought no one saw what we did," she tells Brutus and he looks intensely the two new victors. "No, she's just smart," he says and Cordelia looks at Katniss through the screen. "She is going to be trouble," she says and he looks at her. "Just as you were."

       "You're safe now," Cordelia tells her brother and he looks at her. "I bring to much shame," he whispers and she shakes her head. "You can never, you fought so hard and brave," she says and he holds onto her hand. "I tried to win, just like you did," he says and she wipes away his tears. "Cato, you won admiration, and once people see you they will believe that you didn't win but you survived," she said and he hugs her. "Uncle Cato," Cassia yells as she was about to jump on him but 'Delia caught her. 

           "We made you this card!" Caspian exclaims while giving him a 'Get Well Soon' card. "Thank you, come 'ere," Cato says and Caspian gave his uncle a hug. "I want to give him a hug!" The 9-year-old girl exclaims and Cordelia gently places her down. She gives Cato a hug and Cordelia smiles at the 3 important people in her life. "Get some rest, Kitty, you are going to need it," Cordelia tells her brother before leading her kids out of the infirmary. 

             Cordelia sees Finnick Odair standing beside a ginger woman, she looked familiar. "Cassia, Caspian, go play by the fountain," she says and both her children listen to her.

         "Finnick," Cordelia calls out and he turns around. "Cordelia, I'm sorry about your brother," he says and the redhead looks at her awkwardly. "Don't bother, he's fine, can I speak to you, privately?" She asks and Annie grabs his arm. "Whatever you need to say...you can say it in front of both of us," she says and Cordelia crosses her arms. "Who are you?" Cordelia asks with a fake smile. 

     "Annie, Annie Cresta," she says and Cordelia clenched her jaw. "Right, Finnick I was in the hospital longer than you for a reason, I was pregnant and I gave birth to twins, the end," she says and she walks away. "Wait, Cordelia!" Finnick yells and he runs after her, he grabs her arms and she sees Annie fall to the floor. "Were you lying?" He asks in a whisper and she took his hand off of her arm. "No, I wasn't, we have a lot to talk about," she says and he looks to Annie. 

       "Go back to District 4, I'm not going back," he tells the girl and he grabs Cordelia's hand. "Take me to them," he says and she felt her heartbeat loudly as she took him to the garden where her children were playing at the fountain. "Mama?" Caspian asks and he walks towards his mom with Cassia at his side. "Who is that?" Cassia asks and Finnick bends down. "I'm Finnick Odair, your-"

       "Daddy!" Caspian jumps into Finnick's arms. "We saw you on T.V! Mommy said you were working, I missed you," he says and Finnick's eyes water. "I was, I'm here now," he says and Cassia joins the hug. "I'll always be here," he whispers. 

         "Your grandpa is our messed up president who forced you into prostitution? Forbid you from telling me anything, including them?" He asks quietly as they put their children to sleep. "Yes, he stopped that now, he just wants me to play family," she says and she softly closed the door. "You re acting surprisingly well," she said and they both sit down on the couch.

        "Well I'm 23 and a father of two children who are 9," he says and she looks away from him. "So how are you and the redhead?" She asks bitterly and Finnick sighs. "We broke up two days ago, she wanted to get married," he says and she looks at him in surprise. "Why didn't you want too?"

          "I never said I didn't want to, I just...she wasn't who I wanted."

        "And who did you want?"

          "You, it was always you."