4- Kiss of surprise

Victoria snapped her head around, and gave him a shocking look "What did you just ask?"

He laughed, shook his head, and looked forward as he turned the key, smirking. "Nothing, I was just trying to get your attention, and it worked... now, which way do I go."

Brayden sat on the couch, looking at the clock, and checking the time every few minutes. The later it became, the more he felt his stomach turning in knots. In his heart he didn't think she broke up with him, and felt it was only an act to get him to start working again.

When she walked in, a feeling of relief came over him and stood up quickly, he turned around, and placed his hands on the sides of his face, covering the redness of his cheeks "You're home." he said, relieved.

"Yea, I'm here aren't I?" she snapped, leaning down to take off her shoes. "Why are you up, waiting for me anyway?"

"I thought something might have happened to you, it's after midnight, and I thought you were only going out for dinner." He started walking over to her, then stopped when she started laughing. "What?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows, not liking how she was laughing at him.

She placed her hands on her hips, and laughed again. "Oh my God, seriously?... Did I, or did I not, break up with you a couple weeks ago? Because I seem to remember my exact words to you were; I'm done, and we're over."

"I didn't think you meant it." he said, looking down, and sighing.

"Yea, well I did..." she says, walking away. "I'm not going to fight with you this late at night, I'm going to bed, and good luck at your new job tomorrow." She slammed her bedroom door behind her, sat on the bed, and shook her head I knew I shouldn't have let him stay, what the hell was I thinking? she muttered under her breath.

Throughout the night she tossed and turned, and couldn't get Brayden's expression off her mind after telling him once again, they were over. And the thought of Dalton kept coming to her mind, how he treats her at work, and how he brought up her going home to his place, she thought he was sexy, and a little bit of a jerk at the same time, and it had her feeling confused.

Did he really mean it? She kept asking herself. She noticed the way he was looking at her all night, and every time she looked up, she caught him staring at her breasts, or her face. The way he asked her if she was going home with him, it threw her for a loop, and in her mind felt he really meant it. But when questioning it, he laughed it off, dropped her off, and not another word was said by him the entire time he drove her home.

Knowing she wasn't going to fall asleep, she got up, and ready for work, leaving before Brayden could say anything to her. On her way to work, she stopped at the local coffee house in town, and ordered herself a couple nitro pressed coffees, hoping to wake herself up, and to get her feeling more energized.

As she walked inside the clinic, she smiled, and felt relieved to see nobody was there. She headed to her office, sat down, and looked at all the files that were piling up on her desk, dreading the thought of how her day was going to be, especially being around Doctor Jones.

Dalton pulled into the parking lot, saw Victoria's car, and smirked. He headed inside, and over to her office. As he partially opened the door to her office, he peeked his head inside, and saw how she was working on the files. "You're here awfully early."

"I couldn't sleep." she said quietly, refusing to look at him. She reached for her coffee, took a sip, and wondered why he too was already there.

"I'll bet you were thinking of me, weren't you?" he asked, chuckling.

She set her coffee down, and turned her head toward him. "You wished I was, don't you?"

He smirked, walked over to her resting his hands on her shoulders, and leaned into her ear, causing a spark to flash through her. "I do wish about a lot of things, but there is one thing I do wish the most... and that's with those files sitting in front of you, I noticed they're three months behind, and I would like to see those billed out by Friday night."