chapter ten- snow

No, no, no! They want me dead or alive

They want me dead or alive,

 I'm just tryin' to survive,

―Dead or Alive, Jazz Cartier

|SNOW|

         IT HAS BEEN TWO DAYS SINCE THEY HAD CAME BACK FROM THE GAME. Cordelia was sitting across of the president. "You are a clever girl, Ms.Hadley," President Snow comments and she gulps before slowly nodding. "Are you scared?" He asks her and she gives him a look. "More like intimidated, you watch children kill themselves for entertainment," she says and he chuckles.

     "You remind me a lot of your mother, sweet little Esther I used to call her," he says and she sits up straight. "How do you know my mother?" She asks and he gives her a mocking glance. "She's my daughter of course," he says and her breath hitched.

    "Then that makes me...your granddaughter?" She said and he nods. "Your mother was my oldest daughter, she was my favorite out of my 3 children, rebellious though. She fell in love with a man, your father, he was poor and knew nothing about her relation to me, still doesn't," he said and her breathing has quickened.

        "I had kept an eye on you ever since you were born, little flower, you are not only my blood but a survivor," he tells her and she looks away from him. "My grandfather kills children," she whispers and he stands up. "Everything is for a reason dear," he says and he serves himself some water. "I'm sure you know the news, about your little...situation," he says and he looks at her stomach. "What are you going to do about it?" She asks him in a protective tone. 

         "I'm sure Finnick Odair is the father, but you see, the people love you and can only have one of you. Just because you won the game...doesn't mean there isn't more to come. The women of the Capitol are madly 'in love' with Finnick, I was thinking of prostituting him after the games if he had one, but you are willing to sacrifice for him are you not? The men love you," Snow says and he pats her shoulder. 

         "You would prostitute your own granddaughter?" She asks in shock and he shrugs. "I'll talk to Finnick then-"

       "No, he doesn't deserve that," she yells and he sits down. "I'll do it, but at least let me have the baby, let me recover," she says and he looks at her with an expressionless face. "You have 2 years, and you won't attend the tour visits. I don't expect you to tell our conversation to anyone especially your mother and Mr.Odair, understand?" Cordelia nods before standing up. 

        "You are also to separate from Finnick," he says and she glares at him. "You're kidding, first you are prostituting now you are taking away the father of my child?" She yells and he shushes her. "He won't know about the baby and if you don't comply with my rules...your dear brother will be punished for it," he says and Cordelia glares at him.

      He hands her a white rose. "See you next time, little flower," he says and she was escorted out of his house.

         Cordelia was brought into the hospital for the baby, being only 16 Cordelia longed for her mother. "I thought you'd be smart enough to wear protection," Brutus says and she looks at him in shock.  "Brutus!" She exclaims before hugging him, happy to see a familiar face.

    "Good to see you too," he says before hugging her back. "Are you going to tell Finnick?" Brutus asks her after letting her go. "No, maybe someday but no, I-I don't want to be with him anymore," she says and he gives her a look.

     "We both know you are lying," he says and she looks away from him. "I just...he can't know, please," she says and he sighs but nods. "He keeps on asking about you, it's starting to get annoying," Brutus says and Cordelia hides a smile by looking down. "Do you know when I'm going home?" She asks and he nods. "After the interview."

             "Brutus what am I going to do when I get home?" She asks and he stares at the young girl in front of him. "Your mother and father would help you, you will also have your own place in the Victors Village, it's nice there, I promise," he says and she gently rubs her stomach. "Nothing is ever going to be the same...is it?" She asks him and he slowly nods. "I'll let you rest," he tells her softly and hee left her hospital room. 

      Cordelia laid back and closed her eyes, only to see images of the moment she shared with Finnick. She almost forgot she had to leave him. Her punishment was her child, who will be a reminder of what she lost and gained. 

              Cordelia and Finnick were laying down in the dark, Cordelia took hold of the bracelet Essie had given her, she took off one of the charms and she realized what it was...Dream Shade. Of course, she and Finnick could trick the game makers and President Snow. She and Finnick could have a chance to leave the arena together. 

              Finnick's arms tighten around her waist, "You can't sleep?" He whispers and she gently places a hand on his cheek. "Not in here," she says and nuzzled his face into her neck. She slightly smiles before wrapping her own arms around the boy she loves. "Don't stop loving me," she whispers and he took hold of her hand. "I will never stop loving you," he tells her softly and she silently cries, if they win, it would be too good to be true.

              "I love you, Cordelia," he says and she kisses his forehead. "And I love you Finnick."