chapter eight- last goodbye

You should see me in a crown
Your silence is my favorite sound
Watch me make 'em bow One by one,

―You Should See Me In a Crown, Billie Eilish

|LAST GOODBYE|

      "CORDELIA, WE ONLY HAVE A MINUTE BUT I WANTED TO GET YOU THIS," Essie says and she wraps a gold bracelet around her wrist. "It's a see you later gift," she says and Cordelia smiles. "Thank you, Essie," Cordelia whisper before hugging the woman. "Anything for you dear," she says and Cordelia sighs before rubbing her arms. "Wish me luck," she said and Essie smirks. "You won't need it," Essie tells her before she goes inside the tube. 

      "If anything happens to me and Finnick is still alive, keep him like that," she says and Essie was about to say something but the tube shot up. Her and everyone else. A red circle was visible on the Cornucopia, then the number 10 appear and it started to count down. Cordelia's eyes caught a bag of daggers and a bow an' arrow, those were hers. 7 seconds. She looks at Finnick and he sends her a small smile. 4 seconds. She will win this for her brother, for her family, but she won't win alone, she will win with Finnick.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

        One, a loud horn was blown and she instantly sprinted towards her choice of weapon. She grabbed her daggers and threw it into the tribute from District 12. She grabbed another dagger and threw it towards Jolie-Anne, who was on top of Finnick. A scream escaped the girl's lips but Cordelia didn't care. "Let's go!" She hears Xavi yell and she turns to see him and the tributes from District 1 running into the woods.                     

        Cordelia runs towards Finnick, passing the 6 fallen tributes. "Finnick are you okay?" She asks him and he sits up. "I'm fine, I just have a fucking knife in my thigh!" He exclaims and she rolls her eyes before pulling it out, making him fall back to the ground. "I'm supposed to be the rough one," he teases and she helps him up and helps him walk to the Cornucopia. She looked around for the first aid and she found one inside one of the backpacks. "Can you defend yourself in this state?" She asks him and he nods. 

      "Where are you going?" He asks while noticing that she is refiling her pouch of daggers. "So far 6 tributes are dead, meaning there are 18 left, can't have that sweetheart," she says as she loads her an arrow into her bow. "Let me go with you," he says and she shakes her head. "They are gonna come back, I know they will, are you able to kill someone?" She asks with a blank expression before tightening her belt. 

      "Y-yes," he whispers and she kisses his forehead. "I'll be back," She says and he nods. 

       All she took with her was the weapon she had chosen and her backpack. While hunting for lives she might as well hunt for food and water. She closes her eyes to hear a crunch behind her. She instantly turns around to shoot the arrow and she came face to face with District 3, Sofiya Mellase, age 12. She looked scared and innocent- reminded her of Cato, her little brother. "They are following me," she says in a whisper and she looks up the tree, making Cordelia follow her action. 

       Cordelia shot an arrow and she heard a grunt from the top of the tree, a person fell and revealed to be the boy from District 7, shame. 

       "Where are the others?" She asks the girl and Sofiya points towards the left. Cordelia left the little girl, she couldn't kill her, people who remind her of Cato is a weakness she can't overcome. "Thomas, stay here and make camp, me and Eliza are going to kill some tributes," Cordelia hears Xavi say and she crouches down to hide.

     She hears Thomas sigh and she stands up with a bow and arrow in hand. She stands in front of the boy and he grabs his katana but she steps on his hand, making him yell in pain. 

     "What weapons do they have?" She asks him and he struggles under her hand. "Xavi has twin swords, my partner has stars," he says and she hums before impaling a dagger into his skull. "Nothing I have to worry about," she mutters before looking for food. 

             It was getting dark and Finnick's wound was already healing, he begins to worry for Cordelia since she had been gone for at least a couple of hours. "What's with the sad face?" He hears Cordelia ask. He turns around to face her and she slightly smiles. "I thought you were-" he stopped himself. She puts down her things and she places one hand on his cheek and the other on his shoulder. "Together, as you said," she whispers and he nods before giving her a hug. 

         She had collected multiple types of edible berries and purified water. They both sat on the Cornucopia waiting for the recognition if the tributes who had passed.  A small parachute holding onto a small container was shot onto Cordelia's lap. She looks at Finnick before opening. 'This I wanted to give you with your first sponsor -Brutus'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Sugar cubes, thank you, Brutus. "I guess we'll have it first thing in the morning," she says and they smile at each other before she leans onto his side. Their hands intertwined and he has wrapped his arm over her shoulder. Faces of the tributes who had passed displayed in the sky, the little girl who Cordelia had ignored to kill was one of them. Finnick kisses her shoulder, "Everything is going to be okay," he says even though everything isn't.

     "So you want to make a trap?" Finnick says as he helps her move everything from the Cornucopia into one pile. It's been a week since the start of the Hunger Games and their population continues to shrink. "I already made it, get a weapon and a bag we are gonna leave soon," she says and he sighs. "Yes, mam," he mutters with a hint of a smile, he picks up a Trident and he notices a tag with a kiss and his name on it, he ripped off the tag and he followed his girl. 

He is sooo lovesick