33 | Empress For A Day

Start from the beginning

"I'm not belittling the duchess, Countess. I'm just telling her the truth. We don't want our lady who plays empress for a day to chicken out now, right?" The duke chuckles as he grabbing his glass of water. Before the duke manages to have a sip, the glass broke to pieces and completely drenching the duke's whole attire.

"What the hell!" He abruptly stands up from his seat and glares at Freida Who seems to be the cause of this incident.

"How dare you do this to me! Don't you know who I am!" The duke bawls out. Kathryn remained nonchalant and so does the countess.

"Have you had your fun berated the duchess? Did you get the truth out from your system? How does it feel to be in deep water because of your action towards the throne?" Freida leaves Kathryn's side and pad towards the duke.

"I will personally make the call for your princess and tell her all the details of your wrongdoing myself. I hope you find it comfortable in the jail cell while we try to find a perfect way to punish such insolent like yourself. You may be born in the nobility but you don't act like one. There is one thing the palace doesn't like ..." Freida faces the duke eye to eye.

"Is that our guests belittling our empress. Guards! Take him away!" The guards' smirk.

"With pleasure," they bow before grabbing the duke by the arm and drags him out forcefully. Kathryn knows she shouldn't t let the duke's words get to her but it did and it hurts.

She tries to stay calm but both Freida and the countess can see through her facade.

"Don't let his words get to you, my lady. We all know that the emperor chose you as his bride because you're the only one in his heart. It's okay if they see you as a commoner now. But will that little comment faze you?" Kathryn faces the countess with determination in her eyes.

"Hell no. Let's do this. Whether I like it or not, I have to learn how to rule the empire. I am the emperor's future wife after all," Freida smiles and so does the countess.

"Now that's what we want to hear," the countess gave her approval.

***

After Kathryn completes all of Alvia scheduled duty for the day, she went to the kitchen and went through the fridge to see what kind of dinner that might give Alvia the proper energy to recover. Kathryn hums away when the head chef walks into his kitchen just to see Kathryn bending down in his fridge.

"Can I help you, your grace?" Kathryn was surprised when she heard a voice coming from behind. When she turns around, the head chef was looking at her with questioning looks.

"I was searching for something that might help the emperor fight his cold away. It seems that I can't find anything," the head chef looks at his duchess with disbelief.

"That's impossible. My kitchen never shorts on supplies before. What is it that you need, your grace?" The head chef refuses to believe that his kitchen is lacking ingredients.

"Well, chicken of course. I also need onions, sage, thyme, apple cider vinegar, carrot and celery," the head chef listed down everything before facing the duchess shocking expression.

"From this list, are you intend on doing the stock yourself? Wouldn't be easier to use the stock we had already?" The head chef asked.

"Well, If possible I want to make them from scratch. The emperor needs all the nutrients to fight his cold. When I visited him this afternoon, it seems like he developed the cough as well. Oh! Thy reminds me, do you have fresh honey?" The head chef nodding his head.

"Can you prepare the things I'm listed down while I went to put on the apron? Since it's your kitchen, you should know where everything is," the head chef agrees to help the duchess.