Chapter 3

As he sat on the soft but soggy sand of the sea shore, Tatara sighed.

Helping the farmer had been tiring.

He hoped that the wild boar who uprooted the farmer's crops never found their way to the village again, not only Pasa, but no other village for that matter.

The view in front of him though, was taking away his exhaustion.

The ocean's cool, salty breeze was carrying its refreshing sea-spray.

In the distance, Tatara could hear the swiftlets going back to their roosts.

Absentmindedly, Tatara gazed at the ocean, watching as the sun became its most fiercely vibrant shade.

It was almost time for sundown, and the sun was determined to paint one of nature's most breathtaking scenes.

As the sun began to drop lower and lower, it splashed vibrant colours of bright golden on the surrounding clouds.

The shades of the majestic golden contrasted to the joyful, calm turquoise blue of the sky.

Slowly, with the heat in the sunlight decreasing, everything became slightly saffron, as if one was wearing saffron tinted glasses.

Deep in thought, Tatara took in how the saffron tints changed gradually to peach, and then ever so slowly to cinnabar, amethyst, and then gradually obsidian.

An angelic voice broke him out of his trance.

The refreshing wind was flowing like it would everyday, but this time it was carrying a heavenly passenger: a kind of otherworldly song.

Entranced, Tatara followed the wind to try and trace the singer of the song.

Lo and behold! Tatara finally found the person he was looking for. The singer was a young woman.

She was breathtakingly beautiful: she had jet black hair that were swaying with the wind, adorned by a red flower; and the colour of her radiant brown skin melted in perfectly with the colours of the sunset, while her white dress contrasted with the sky.

Tatara just kept standing there, dumbfounded.

He himself did not know whether it was the consonance of her heavenly song that was keeping him quiet, or her harmonious angelic voice that arrested his thoughts, or her breathtaking beauty that just wouldn't let him breathe. Probably it was a deadly combination of all the three together. Definitely deadly.

The woman too, failed to notice him. She too, just like Tatara moments before, appeared to be absorbed in the spectacular sunset.

Her song, seemed like a tribute to the sun's panoramic painting.

The song had no words, but a lot of emotions. These were emotions so strong that they did not need any words to be expressed. Just by listening in for a few minutes, Tatara had not only recognised, but experienced heart wrenching longing, fierce valour, and dream-like happiness.

Out of the blue, a stronger than usual roar of wave drew the woman out of her trance.

Jarred, she she forgot her song.

She had not yet gathered her bearings when she heard a deep velvet-like voice that made her heart flutter : " Why did you suddenly stop singing?"

Vamiro was taken aback to see the handsome young man standing in front of her. Tall and well built, his chocolate coloured skin looked even more beautiful in the backdrop of sunset. His jet black hair fell to his shoulders in a jagged cut, and were kept away from his eyes by a scarf. By a string on his face hung a wooden sword, and his loincloth modestly covered his manly parts, unlike many frivolous men of similar built Vamiro had observed. And his eyes...they were blacker than the blackest rock Vamiro had ever seen, and in them was a ocean deeper than she had ever dived into, that ocean having strong currents of an emotion she couldn't quite put her finger on.

Putting herself together: "First you tell me who are you? What is the meaning of asking such an absurd question? You are a stranger, and I am not obliged to answer your question. Please mind your own business." Said Vamiro, in a tone harsher than she would have normally used.

Tatara however, was still in a daze. Instead of registering what the woman had said, all his senses registered was the woman's beauty and all his ears sensed, was the absence of the woman's heavenly song.

So he absentmindedly replied: "Why did you stop singing? Please finish the song. You have a beautiful voice."

"That is not the answer toy question!" Exclaimed Vamiro, now frustrated. "Tell me the truth, who are you? I haven't seen you anywhere in Lapati Village?"

But Tatara was hypnotized still. So, he replied: "Why did you stop singing? Please continue."

Vamiro lost her cool. In her fit of rage, she simply couldn't stop her hand from flying and landing on the man's cheek with a smack. " Are you cuckoo in the head? Or is your name really 'Please sing'? And yeah, why should I sing for a stranger? Do you not know the ways of the village?" Now a bit level headed, and very creeped out, Vamiro turned to leave.

Two things snapped Tatara out of his daze: the pyroelectric feeling of the woman's hand on his skin, and when his brain somehow processed that the woman was going away.

Realising his mistake, Tatara moved quickly and blocked the woman's path.

Almost begging her, he said: " I haven't behaved this way in my entire life. After seeing you, I lost my senses for a while.

"I will not block your way, but please tell me your name." He continued, unblocking her path.

Vamiro began walking home quickly. Her insides, were at war. Her brain was confused, but her heart wanted the man's attention. And somewhere near her stomach, there seemed to be a knot that had suddenly tightened, and was adding weight to her heart's desire. In the end, the majority won, and throwing logic out of the window, she replied: " Va..mi..ro."

"Vamiro. Vaa..mi..ro" Tatara tested the woman's name on his tounge.

"Your name is as beautiful as you are. Will I be able to see you again tomorrow?" Asked Tatara.

" I....I don't think so" replied Vamiro, and continued walking towards her village.

Tatara did not follow her, for he had behaved creepily enough for one day. Instead, he yelled: " Vamiro! My name is Tatara! I will wait for you on this rock tomorrow, please do come."

Vamiro did not even glance back, making Tatara feel queasy.

He watched her go.

More to come! Stay tuned, and please don't be silent readers...so I know that atleast someone is reading this....
Anyways, we are officially past half-point!!!
Yay!!??