Patrick, 18:47: What are you doing? I miss you. Everything is less fun without you.

I smile to myself before quickly typing back a reply as Pete, Steph and Lola continue to discretely bicker about the politics of one night stands.

Me, 18:48: I miss you too. Your siblings won't stop bickering, come help.

I hit send, and seconds later the kitchen door opens and Patrick walks in.

"Pete, I'm bored of you now - Oh." He looks surprised to see me, but happy at the same time. I guess he really did miss me. I smile at him and he smiles back at me.

"Hi." I say, a little quieter than I meant to.

"Hi." He says back.

Lola coughs loudly, and I remember we aren't alone. I turn to see Steph smiling at us, Pete frowning at us in confusion, and Lola smiling to herself while washing a plate in the sink and pretending to ignore the awkward Hi exchange she just witnessed.

"Um, when did you get here?" Patrick asks me, snapping back to normality. "Help yourself to whatever."

"Just a minute ago, thanks." I say.

"Coffee then?" Lola asks me again, and I accept her offer this time.

We all sit down at the table as Lola pours coffee for herself, me and Patrick, and Steph gets a soda for herself and Pete. I notice Patrick smile to himself when he checks his phone, he must have just read my last reply.

"So, what brings the two of you here on a Friday night?" Lola asks, taking a seat next to Patrick. "Aren't there any rock bands to go see in South Bridge or whatever?"

"What, I'm not allowed to visit now?" Patrick asks her.

"Of course you are, but this is like the third time I've seen you this week." Patrick's cheeks flush a little in embarrassment. "What's wrong with him, Jamie?"

She takes a sip of her coffee and eyes me suspiciously. I feel like she knows. Or she thinks she knows something. But whatever.

"Jay and Joel both have girlfriends now, I guess Patrick and I have been at a bit of a loose end without them lately." I reply.

"Well, good job you two have each other." Lola says with a big smile. Patrick shifts in his chair uncomfortably. Jesus Christ. Does his mom know that he likes me?

"Joel has a girlfriend now?" Steph asks, clearly crestfallen. She's always had a crush on Joel, poor girl.

"Yeah, I told you that months ago." Patrick laughs at her.

"When are you gonna get yourself a girlfriend though?" Pete asks Patrick with a wicked grin.

"I could ask you the same thing." Patrick replies, kicking Pete under the table.

"Yeah, well you're gonna be 20 years old soon. I'm only 16. I have time to work on it, but you're getting old, bro." Pete answers him smugly.

"Fuck off." Patrick replies.

"Language please!" Lola says to Patrick, covering Steph's ears. Steph and I just laugh.

"I wish you would get a girlfriend, it would be fun having an older girl to go shopping with and show me how to put on make-up and stuff." Steph says dreamily. "No offence mom, but doing those things with your mom is so lame."

"No offence taken." Lola says. "What do I know about clothes and make-up?"

"Jamie would be a good girlfriend for you." Steph says, smiling at Patrick. I look down into my coffee and try to ignore his sudden fit of coughing. "Although I don't think we have the same sense of fashion, no offence, Jamie."