The Wolf

A starry night blanketed upon the island and the water reflected the beauty of the night, filled with tranquillity. A shimmering crescent hung casually in the sky, visible ever so lightly, hiding behind the clouds, lamenting for his lover, his beloved who just disappeared, in order for the moon to rise and live. His sadness so heart-rending and filled with such sorrow, his longing was felt scattered all over the sky, living deep into the hearts of human beings. The sound of the water splashing against the beach was the only sound of harmony that reached Laura's melancholic heart. The heart, the heart where kindness and boundless love resided, was crippled with a gripping fear and apprehension. As she sat by the threshold of the balcony, as her wife didn't let her be anywhere out of their bure, her eyes glanced up at the shy moon, still lurking behind the clouds.

The clouds cleared ever so dramatically, as if announcing the moon's presence. And Laura's emerald green eyes beheld the beauty of the moon, who looked so lonely. But it was the solitude and the seclusion that surrounded the moon that attracted the raven-haired towards the moon's flawed beauty and tap at the strings of her heart. A sad smile made its appearance on Laura's lips as her mind wandered and thought about the moon and the sun and their tragic love story. Laura averted her eyes away from the moon, her heart reaching out for their tragedy. She glanced over her shoulder and saw her wife, animatedly talking with the authorities who immediately showed up at their doorstep the moment they were informed that it wasn't Sean who was the real target.

It was Laura.

While the blonde was busy filling in for the authorities about what happened, Laura found herself staring at the star-struck night, disturbed by the recent events of shooting. As Laura let her eyes move across the edges and the curves that the moon wore, oh so proudly, the thought of her being the target of another bullet was seared into her brain. And yet, she was distracted the moment she let the aesthetic qualities of the nature into her heart. Her heart swelled up with a tiny ray of joy when her eyes ran across the sky filled with twinkling stars but the joy turned into a bitter-sweet feeling when she stared at the moon, whose longing for the sun never ceased to bewilder her.

Laura blinked a few times in succession and she was pulled, harshly, back into the reality from her reverie when her lovely wife called out her name a few times before Taylor laid a soothing hand on Laura's shoulder. No matter how much she loved Taylor's soft touch on her body, the mere touch jolted Laura as she looked back up at her wife in frantic. Taylor let out a tender smile, an empathic smile instead one of sympathy or pity. She knew how much Laura abhorred sympathy and pity from others and she would completely flip out if it came, especially, from her wife, whom Laura loved more than anyone in the world.

"Babe, it is time." Taylor's voice was a melody to Laura's ears.

Looking back one more time at the moon, Laura gave a firm nod to her wife before slipping her hand into Taylor's and leaving the arresting nature in the background as it shone on all of them.

******

"Are you alright, Miss Prepon?" The detective, who answered by the name Harry, asked Laura. To everyone's, especially Laura's, delight, the officer that had accompanied Harry before wasn't there with him anymore. Instead a new officer, who went by the name Rose, stood attentively next to the detective while her eyes were shinning with empathy for the couple.

Taylor flinched when she heard the detective's question and glanced swiftly towards her wife. The sympathy that echoed in the detective's voice steeled Laura's already cold eyes. But Taylor bit down a smile when Laura visibly relaxed the moment, she felt the blonde's hand on Laura's knee, giving it a reassuring squeeze.