Prologue

The rays of the sun scattered throughout the sky as the mighty ball of fire slowly descended, hiding behind the mountains. The busy life of New York City went on as usual; while some people sped off to their destinations, dreamers and romantics stopped to look up at the sky and admire the beauty of nature. As the sky was a beautiful canvas of different shades of color, the sun had also set on the couple. As the evening light engulfed the couple into its embrace, Laura stared at her wife, Taylor. Laura's eyes were filled with hurt and shock, while her heart was breaking into pieces ever so slowly. As Laura stood before her wife, numb and without moving a muscle, all she wanted to do was to avert her eyes from the blonde. Laura wanted to run away from the words that she had to hear, that she had to endure the pain and intensity of those words deep into her soul. But Laura couldn't move, her feet were bolted down to the ground yet she felt the ground beneath her shaking. 

Tears rolling down Laura's cheeks and her throat closing in, she simply stared at her wife in disbelief. While Laura stood there suffering, Taylor tried to maintain a stoic face, but her heart was clenching tightly in her chest, making it difficult for the blonde to breathe. Taylor too wanted to look away, to peel her eyes away from her wife who looked so broken, but the blonde couldn't move either. Taylor's heart sunk deeper as Laura's eyes, filled with hurt, bore deeply into her soul. Taylor had never hated herself more. Taylor's eyes softened and, they brimmed with tears as Laura extended her hand towards the blonde. 

"Tay. . ." 

Laura managed to croak out. Her voice was filled with pure distress and pain. Laura's heart further ached when she saw tears rolling down Taylor's cheeks, but the blonde still managed to keep her face indifferent. Laura was confused as to what made her wife want to do such a thing to her, to them. 

"Tay, please." Laura begged, her tears uncontrollable. "Please, don't leave." 

Laura's voice was like a sharp piece of glass, cutting right through Taylor's heart. "Please, stay, my love." And, Taylor completely broke down from inside. 

Laura's eyes widened when the blonde took a few steps towards Laura. Laura's hand was still stretched out towards Taylor, and hoping that the blonde would take her hand, Laura almost smiled to herself. But her breath was stolen away when Taylor stood right in front of her, so close to Laura. Laura's hand stayed extended, while she lost herself into the blue orbs that were glistening with tears. They were so close to each other, yet there loomed a distance between the two. Laura gasped in surprise when she felt Taylor's soft touch on her skin. Taylor's heart melted and her features softened when Laura closed her eyes, leaning into Taylor's touch. 

When Laura opened her eyes, Taylor let out a ghost of a smile. Laura's breath became labored as the blonde made small circles on Laura's cheek with her thumb. Laura wanted to say something, or at least wanted to try forming some words and deliver it through her mouth, but she was completely lost in Taylor's mesmerizing eyes. 
Taylor leaned in and taking Laura by surprise, pressed her lips to Laura's, giving a breathtaking kiss to her wife. Laura's stretched hand immediately cupped Taylor's cheek, deepening the kiss. And, just for the moment, Taylor forgot everything else as she lost herself into the kiss. She reveled into the kiss, and her heart fluttered as Laura's soft plump lips captured Taylor's. 

Parting from the lips, Taylor rested her forehead against Laura's. This time, Taylor was the one who closed her eyes, cherishing their intimacy, while Laura's gaze never left Taylor's face. Taylor pulled away and giving another kiss on Laura's lips, she parted her lips to speak. "I am so sorry, Laura." 

Laura's eyes turned sad and her hands fell to her side as she saw Taylor backing away from her, with a look full of guilt and regret. Turning her back to Laura, without saying goodbye or looking at her wife one last time, Taylor walked away. 

Laura managed to blink her eyes and when she opened them again, Taylor was gone.