Saved

The canvas on which the nature was painted had never looked more beautiful and tranquil. The sun had begun its descendance, ever so slowly, leaving its lasting impression upon the vast sky. A few birds, bearing the colour of peace proudly on their petite bodies, flew above, soaring high into the sky. They flew with no care, with no worries. Only freedom flapping through their wings, and their hearts. It was a perfect picture where the calm ripples of the water gentle kissed the feet of the people standing on the beach.

But a stain, a dark and horrible blemish, had appeared on the perfect picture of a soothing evening.

Taylor stood there, her arms wrapped around her lovely wife, numb. After releasing an ear-piercing scream when she saw a man fall down on the beach before her, dead, Taylor's soul was left empty. She had no voice to cry out anymore, no gasps to spare. Her heart was racing insanely out of her chest, so loud and so erratic, she could hear it oh so well. She could not, no matter how much she tried, avert her eyes away from the man lying on the sand, as a bullet wound burned through the back of his head. Taylor's breath was labored, and she found the process of breathing quite difficult at the moment. Acting for a scene where guns were used to shoot at people, or scenes of murder, was one thing and to witness a murder in real life was completely a different story. Involuntarily, the hand that held Laura's arm began to shake uncontrollably as her heart sank lower and lower in her chest.

And then there was Laura.

Laura stood there, beside her gorgeous wife, with her foot throbbing in pain as the shard of glass had cut through her skin, without moving a muscle. As the raven-haired stood still, with a soft breeze kissing gently against her face, the beauty of nature fell into the background, not receiving either of their attention and love as it so deserved. Laura's eyes were fixed on the man, who laid with no pulse or heartbeat, on the beach. The very man whom she had looked over from her bure and chuckled at his sneaky yet cunning behaviour. The man who triggered Laura's memories and days of smoking, when she was not able to control her impulses, and mend her broken heart. The man who Laura started to dislike because he was disloyal to his wife of ten years, betraying her for someone else. The man who had a dazzling smile, and mischievous glint in his eyes. But he was the man, Laura knew, who didn't deserve to die.

Not such a horrifying death.

Laura was having difficulty breathing as the gunshot wound reminded her of her own. Laura restrained her own shaking hand to fly beneath her heart, where the ever-painful bullet wound lay. Laura almost fell down beside the corpse as the post-traumatic stress of the incident that was seared into her brain hit her like a train but she stayed strong. For her wife, for herself. Because she was trying, from every fiber of her being, her best to let go of her past.

Laura finally pried her eyes away from the corpse and looked at her wife when the hand covering Laura's arm began to shake. Laura covered Taylor's hand with hers and drawing her wife's attention towards her, Laura gave a gentle squeeze to Taylor's soft and shaking hand. Taylor's eyes bored into Laura's, both reflecting fear and shock. They again turned their attention back to the man on the beach, and a number of thoughts began to circle their mind.