Chapter 13: Everything Goes Downhill

Start from the beginning

What will happen to Viol? Will she ever come back? Why is this all happening? Why Viol? And the flowers. We will never know if the flowers would have worked. Now Viol is gone, and we lost the chance to turn her back to normal. All because I couldn't wait to gain my flight back.

I can feel Kelko reading my mind. The uncomfortable sense of someone watching me, except it's in my head. I don't care. I still keep spiralling.

Jolton stomps his feet beside me, his sadness replaced with a new emotion: rage. I can see the concentration in his narrowed eyes as he tries desperately to produce a plan of his own.

"We're almost there." Kelko says, not turning around to meet our eyes. He leads us into a large bush. Once inside the thicket of leaves, branches and leaves intertwine to create a corridor-like space inside the bush.

The leaves hide us from the outside world, and at the end of the leaf archway, it opens up to a clearing. How does Kelko know about this? Is this where he lives? The forest is the only terrain behind us, but a large wall of intertwining tree trunks block off the forest, the only way to go back is through the leaf-arch. In front of us in the shape of a large semi-circle, is a continuation of the mountains. They rise high above our heads, already catching the light of the rising sun. What catches my eyes to most though, is the enormous iron, vine etched door leading into the mountain.

"Wow!" Jolton gasps. "What is this place? Do you live here?"

"I guess you could say that." Kelko shrugs.

"So," I start, "what are we doing here?"

"There is someone here who can help us." He says.

"Then let's go." Jolton says impatiently. He storms towards the door, but before he can reach it, an arrow shoots right past his face, impaling the grass beside him.

Jolton freezes on the spot.

"Duck!" I yell, covering my head with my hands.

I dive onto the ground, not daring to look up in case there are more arrows to come. I don't hear any though, so after a few seconds, I take the chance to look up. What I'm greeted with shocks me.

She is wearing tall brown boots that almost go up to their knees, and simple black pants with a tucked in white blouse. Her skin is a pale stone blue color, but it isn't noticeable because of a bandanna that covers half of their face, so only her electric blue eyes and long striking white hair tied into braids are visible.

"Come any closer, and we will hurt him." The mysterious cartoon says.

"Don't worry about me Eim, I'll be fine." Jolton breathes heavily. The drawings start to enter the mountain, dragging Jolton with them. He struggles against the grip of the guard. I can see the fear in his eyes.

I feel helpless. I can't just let them take Jolton, so, I stand and shout the only thing that comes to mind.

"Who are you?"

The supposed leader stops just before entering.

"I'm sorry?"

"Who are you?" I ask again, this time louder.

They turn around and speak in a smooth voice.

"We are the Faded Rebellion. And I don't know exactly what you are doing here, but we need an electric cartoon. I don't see any use for you. Kelko, get rid of her."

They look over to Kelko who is now standing, not meeting my eyes when I spin around to search for answers.

My heart stops. The world falls silent and I can't seem to concentrate. I stand still, waiting for my brain to register what has just happened. No no no.

He promised nothing would happen to us, he promised that he would help us. He promised.

"Eim there's something I need to tell you." Kelko's voice is quiet and he still doesn't make eye contact.

I swallow down any sign of crying and try to breathe.

"What?" I manage to say.

"We won't be able to save Jolton." Kelko says. He still isn't meeting my eyes.

"Kelko, what are you talking about? What are they going to do to Jolton?" I ask, still not really processing what's going on.

"Eim there's nothing you can do about it now."

"No." I state.

"What?" His eyes become cold, finally staring into mine.

"I'm going in there and I'm getting Jolton and Viol back by myself. I should never have trusted you." I force my fear down and replace it with determination to get my friends back. I just have to get them back.

"Eim it's too late for them."

"No it's not!" I scream. Kelko comes forward and pulls me into a hug. I am in too much shock to care.

"Eim it's going to be alright." He says in a soothing voice. I can't seem to catch my breath. A tear trails down my cheek and onto Kelko's shoulder.

A black shadow overcomes my body as I crumple to the ground. There is no way to catch my breath. My lungs feel shallow. I heave and wrap my arms around the deadly wound. It hurts, everything hurts and I just want it to stop.

Kelko crouches down and looks at me with tears in his eyes. I feel my heart squeeze and cry to myself, trying to find a way to deal with the pain.

I'm sorry.

Leaving those last words echoing in my mind, Kelko leaves. He walks towards the door, greeting the guard with a smile. The same smile he had given me not too long ago. My eyes follow him as the door close behind him. Leaving me dying in the grass alone.

My sight goes blurry. If it's from the steaming tears in my eyes or from the blood rushing to my head I don't know. I clench my teeth and try to breathe until finally, I feel myself disintegrate, and watch the world fall into darkness around me.

Poof.