Chapter 16: Mourning

So we in the woods.

Oh, excuse me, I mean forest.

There's trees, literally everywhere and I am not here for it. With trees, come bugs, and bitch, I don't like bugs.

Jack said we should be safe now, after running for 30 minutes, then walking for another 3 hours and passing out, I'd say I'm ready to find shelter.

This outdoors shit, is not working for me.

Of course he made fun of me for blacking out for a second. It's easy for him though because he's still in the stroller, covered and protected, not at all worried about how heavy this shit is.

I have to pat myself on the back though, I didn't think I'd run that long. I really am getting stronger.

"This is a good place to set up a camp."

"Yeah, you're right, we can keep moving tomorrow. Now get out of the stroller, brat."

"Dasana, I must say, I'm offended."

"Well so was I when you laughed at me. Now out."

I pick his heavy little self up, and take out some of the stuff he was sitting on.

"Do you think you could place a barrier around the camp?"

"What do you mean? Like, to keep stuff out?"

"Duh."

"I don't know how to do that."

"Try what you did earlier, with the stroller."

So I do. First I think of the feeling I get when I use my powers, and promptly feel it, and see my wrists glow. Since we're in a small clearing, I picture a wall of sorts starting at where we entered.

The wall slowly forms a translucent blue dome over the clearing, stopping at where the tree tops stop.

It looks so thin I can barely see it, so I focus on making it thicker and stronger. I'm starting to feel a little tired so I stop.

Looking over at Jack I see him staring at the barrier, almost in awe.

"So, like this?"

"Yes, now we have to see if its works."

Then I hear something thump against it behind us.

Turning around I see a squirrel sit up, shake itself off, and promptly run into the barrier again. After the second attempt it turns into the other direction.

"Oh, it works." I say, grinning.

-------------------------

It gets dark about an hour or two later. It's hard to tell time now that I don't have my phone. I decided to leave it behind because, well, who am I contacting?

It didn't feel real at first, but when I realized I really was holding onto it for nothing other than entertainment purposes, that would soon stop working, it was worthless. It honestly just reminded me of everyone I lost.

I didn't have the greatest relationship with my parents but it hurt when I realized they, along with the rest of my family, died.

I truly loved my friends, they were the best. I'm going to miss Alana, and her sharp witty humor. I'm going to miss Jamie's non stop talking, usually it was about nothing in particular, but I'd do anything to hear them again. I never liked school but, I'm going to miss going to lunch and talking shit with them for thirty minutes.

Maybe that's why I tried to hold onto Cameron for so long. He reminds me of what my life was, just a month ago. Now, the only thing I have from my past, are my memories.

Alana was beautiful in my eyes, she was average looking, but her eyes held a sparkle when she laughed. She was funny, her sense of humor was similar to mine, that's what made us hit it off so well freshman year. I'd met her in our first period class, it took some time but after we shared a joke about the teacher, Mr. Williams, and how his breath made me want to jump out of a window, we were inseparable.

My eyes are burning, and pressure starts to form behind them.

Jamie was the first non binary person I had ever met. They introduced me to a world of people I hadn't thought about before. I was never the biggest advocate for LGBTQ+ rights, I had felt like it didn't concern me, but then Jamie shared their story, and I looked more into it, and did research. They told me I had become more passionate as an ally than they were.

Jamie was my friend since middle school. They were so open and full of life. Hearing Jamie talk non stop about their job made me want to go out and get one. When they walked into a room, they filled it with a sort of light, that'll never be shone again. Their light forever extinguished.

The pressure behind my eyes has built so much that tears are now streaming down the sides of my face. I was laying down, looking up at the stars, when I started thinking about my friends.

Nothing will ever be the same.

As I look into the now dark and cloudy sky, rain slowly begins to pour down, landing on the dome and sliding down the sides. It reminds me of looking outside of a car window, while my parents drive me to my grandma's house. 

Something else I won't do again.

___________________________________________________