Chapter 1: Seeing the Future

(Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. All rights belong to Masashi Kishimoto)

Chapter 1: Seeing the Future

Naruto woke up in his little apartment in Konoha. He stretched, swung his legs out of bed, and immediately stepped into a cup of half-finished ramen.

"AAAH!" Naruto yelled as he put his foot down, quickly pulling it back up. "Come on! Seriously!" Naruto then got out of his bed and picked up the cup, along with a few others, and threw them in the trash. He then looked at the time: 6:43. "I should take a shower, I still have plenty of time before I need I meet with my team at 8:00."

After a long shower, Naruto got dressed in his usual getup: orange pants, his Orange and blue jacket with a red Uzumaki swirl on the back, a shuriken pouch on his right leg, and finally his Konoha Shinobi forehead protector. He then looked at the clock: 7:13. "I'll make myself some ramen then I'll leave, it won't be too bad if I'm late, since Kakashi sensei will be later than me."

After finishing his ramen, Naruto looked at the clock once more: 7:38. Naruto groans as he thought about the coming day. 'Probably just another D-tank mission after training. When are we gonna get a real mission' he sighed as he headed out the door towards training ground 7.

________________________________

Kakashi, Sakura and Sasuke all stared at the knuckle headed ninja as he ran onto the training grounds. "Naruto! You're late!" Kakashi yelled as Naruto approached.

"Hey, it's only 8:07! And you're always waaaay letter than I am!" Naruto complained.

"Well not today I'm not late today, am I?" Kakashi asked smugly.

"That's no fair! One good day doesn't make up for all the rest!"

"Whatever. Lord Third has asked to see our team so let's get going" Kakashi said, but to his annoyance, got a "Why does Hokage-sama wish to see us?" from Sakura. "I don't know Sakura, he'll tell us when we get there. Now like I said, let's go!" Kakashi snapped. And with that the four shinobi started to head to the Hokage's office.

________________________________

Team 7 finally arrived at the hokage's office, and Naruto pushed open the door. "Hey Jiji!" he said, then looked around the room. "Whoa, why're there so many of us gathered here?" Naruto mumbled, as he saw team 8, team 10, and team Guy also gathered in the room, all sitting in chairs.

"Shut up Naruto!" Sakura yelled as she punched him in the head.

"OWWWW! What was that for?" he asked loudly as he rubbed his head. "Whatever..." Naruto walked forwards and sat down next to Hinata at the end of the line of chairs.

"A-Are you okay, N-Naruto-kun?" She stuttered as Naruto sat next to her. "Yeah, I'm fine Hinata-chan..." he said, still mumbling. Hinata blushed in response to the honorific, "O-Ok then." She said back quietly as the rest of team 7 walked forward to sit next to Naruto.

Hurizen merely chuckled at the whole affair, before explaining. "So now that everyone is here, I can finally explain. I have chosen you four teams for a special assignment. But first," Hiruzen stopped and made a series of hand signs. When he was finished, the light stopped coming through the window and the door to the office was sealed. "I have placed a high-security seal on this room, and anything that we discover while here, stays in here. Got it?" Everyone nodded yes in response. "Good. Now, the purpose for which I called you all here for a very important reason: I wish to observe your futures."

Everyone's eyes widened and were quite for a moment, but then Kiba spoke up "You can really see into our futures?"

"Sorry, but that seems kinda impossible, right?" Sakura said.

"That's wrong Sakura," Shino said. "Theoretically, anything is possible with the right jutsu."

"Unfortunately, Shino is right." Shikamaru spoke up. "Jeez, this is gonna be such a drag."

"Let's not dwell on the possibility of whether or not this is well, possible." Kurenai interrupted "If Hokage-sama says it's possible, it's possible."

"Thank you Kurenai. Now let's get down to business" The Third Hokage reaches down and pulled out a large book. "This is the Second Hokage's notebook. I found a jutsu inside that allows you to see keys events in someone's future." He stepped forward and placed his hand on the ground, and summoned a sealing matrix. "All you have to do is have someone stand in the middle of this matrix and channel their chakra into it, and it'll activate. Now who wants to g-"

He was cut off by Naruto jumping up and down yelling "I'll go first! Pick me!"

"Calm down Naruto, you can go first, geez." said Hiruzen.

"YES! Now I can see if I really become Hokage or not!" Naruto said excitedly as he ran forward into the center of the circle.