013

HERMIONE

"Mudblood, and proud of it!"

It was uncommon for Hermione to be called to Professor Dumbledore's quarters. Sure, there was the time that Harry dragged her and Ron into trouble... multiple times each year, and when her valedictorian status was announced. But despite that, there was no reason for her to be summoned.

There was a quiver in her movements as she climbed the stairs to Dumbledore's presence, and she hesitated when her hand reached for the knob.

Who knew what was standing behind the door. Her mind had too many reasons plaguing her decision in the past. However, she knew to find out, she must proceed with her head held high despite the rattling in her chest.

Dumbledore wasn't anywhere in the room but instead it was vacated by a tall, slim woman with jet-black hair pulled into an updo with a sing strand of white hair woven amongst it. The woman pivoted to look at the girl standing in the doorway, breath hitched at the sight of the visitor.

"Hermione Granger" Narcissa greeted, keeping her voice level and calm, afraid that she would scare off the girl. "Thank you for seeing me."

"Mrs Malfoy," Hermione replied, "I wasn't expecting you."

"Yes, it's rare for the Malfoy's to put a foot within the school but we all have to put our pride aside if it means benefiting the ones we love."

The look Narcissa was steel but Hermione could feel the maternal warmth radiating from the women. She held the strength that her family had maintained through generations. But this was something new for Hermione, understanding why Draco is... well, Draco.

"You're here for Draco" Hermione stated, moving closer into the room and closing the door behind her.

Narcissa smiled and folded her hands in front of her. "Yes. Draco getting involved with a girl like you is a popular topic amongst my community."

"A muggle-born and a pure-blood."

"yes, muggle-born."

The word lingered on her tongue for too long, and yet Hermione spotted how it was much easier for her to say it. Draco's father would've grimaced if he had to say such thing, but Narcissa was different. She appeared to be more accepting.

"I am aware Lucius' stance on this matter but that is why I am here."

Narcissa walked up to Hermione who stepped back out of instinct. Narcissa noticed her reaction and pressed her lips together in disappointment but continued to walk up to her and take Hermione's hands into her own.

Hermione couldn't help but realise how Narcissa smelled. Instead of the sharp, rich scent that Draco and Lucius owned, hers was sweet, smooth and innocent. It overcame the dark clothing she wore every day but did compliment the kindness seen within the blue eyes that she shared with Draco.

"All I want in life is for Draco to be happy. I don't want him to go down a path that turns him into a cold, cruel man. Lucius believes that's the only way to survive in this world, but he knows that Draco is sweeter than that. I want someone to help him be the man he is made to be."

"And I am that person?" Hermione questioned.

"Yes," Narcissa spoke softly, "that is you. I believe that your blood opens him up to a world that his father wishes to be only a myth. You are saving my son from that way of life, and I will always be grateful."

Hermione held back a gasp, letting the words linger in her mind. Narcissa Malfoy was praising the love between a muggle-born and pure blood. Hermione was sure she was dreaming but her hands being help by Narcissa confirmed that it was not merely a dream.

"I don't deserve all the praise. Draco was the one who pursued me first. You have raised a boy to get what he wants, and what he wants is a love with no barriers, especially blood. You have yourself to thank, too" Hermione noted.

It made Narcissa smile. It was only small, both corners lifting a millimetre similar to Draco's grin.

Narcissa left shortly after she wished her well for the Gala and squeezed her hands as a farewell. It left Hermione with a warmth within her. It wasn't the same kind she radiated towards Draco, but instead was a feeling that was hidden behind an icy coldness for many years. It was stronger but gentle. It was foreign but filled with déjà vu.

"Now, any leader of any kind of Hogwarts event must have a frock that steals the show." A spark began to glow in Narcissa's eyes, catching Hermione off guard. However, it did make her blush.

Forgetting about a gown was a foolish move on Hermione's part. It was the statement of the night, the official opening of the ceremony. The need to find the appropriate attire became her next important job to do but with the strict rules to keep her magical self from her muggle half, the job became tricky.

"Yes, I forgot about that part."

Narcissa nodded her head lightly, the grin staying planted on her lips. "Of course. A girl has to fight harder than the boys around here."

Hermione giggled lightly and nodded her head. "especially with the need to buy a new dress for every event."

"It's tough for us girls – magical or muggle. But, Miss Granger, I will help you."

Hermione thought she was shocked but with that simple sentence, she knew she had finally seen everything; the wife of Lucius Malfoy is buying her a gown. It was a kind gesture, showing the motherly touch within her heart. Hermione's parents may not have been there themselves, but she was more than willing to accept Narcissa as a substitute for just that moment or even for the long run.

The two shared a final glance until Hermione grinned to herself as she watched Narcissa leave gracefully, not looking back for one last farewell. 

Authors Note:

Authors Note:

Bonjour, Salut, Hello!

Beautiful Narcissa with the warmth of a Mother. I really wanted Hermione to have an encounter with her to contrast Narcissa from Lucius. She may be married to a cruel man but Hermione and Narcissa are both very alike - falling for those who are cruel but still have a heart of gold.

But what will be her dress? Comment what dress you would wear to this event or what Hermione would wear!

Love,

Matilda Grace