Chapter 34 - Emotionally Drained

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry Ghazi!"

"I'll never forgive you." He threatened.

"I won't forgive myself too."

***

The next morning, Jannat informed me that Aaliyan had not returned home since last night. My heart squeezed at the news but it was for good, if I saw him, I might have broken down in front of everyone.

I had breakfast with everyone, laughing chatting, teasing each other. Sara was absent; she had left for her work. When it was finally nine pm, Ghazi with the help of servants put my back in the car.

At the airport, the air was heavy and it was bright with white lights and clean, my inner thoughts made it murky for me. I pressed my eyes, a heavy burden was increasing on my shoulders like an airplane placed on them.

My burning eyes kept roaming around the entire airport, subconsciously wishing I would see him somewhere. He would be standing somewhere; he would come and demand that I didn't go anywhere but with him. It was a stupid fairytale creating in my mind.

In reality, Aaliyan Haider was nowhere.

Everyone was coming to see me off, even my classmates had bunked the university today. Madam Aneela was coming with her husband and Alishba, the classmate from Madrassah too.

It was a huge crowd. It was making me laugh and feel warm at the love they all gave so graciously. When I collected my boarding pass, I went back to them, to say the last goodbye so I could go and stand in the security line.

I hugged everyone and gave the best of my wishes. Everyone told me they'd miss me and wish I stayed more. I smiled at their love, feeling the warmth spreading in my chest.

When it was Ghazi's turn, I put my car keys in his shirt pocket, his golden glassy eyes popped out. "The Royal Royce is yours until I'm gone." And I'd never come back!

"Musca you don-"

I cut him off. "Shut up you idiot I know you're dancing inside." He chuckled, rubbing his wet cheeks.

Finally, at the announcement, I waved at all of them, as a stream of tears came down to my cheeks. They all were shouting different things to me.

"Musca I'll come to get you someday!" It was Ghazi's promise.

"Musca, don't forget Urdu!" It was classmate Hafsa, who had taught me half of the Urdu.

"Tell Americans Pakistan is the best!" It was Tooba.

"Tell Americans, Pakistanis are the best!" It was Aashir.

I was laughing like crazy, even the people around them were giving them weird stares.

"Don't forget to learn more about Islam!" It was Madam Aneela, it brought a laugh out of me, I was not expecting her to mix with the children.

"Okay, okay, I'll do everything, Allah hafiz!" I waved again.

"Keep in touch!" I heard Ghazi's shout as turned around the corner, my tears blurring my vision, my lips quivering as my chin twitched.

"Yes, I will," I said under my breath, more like telling myself to do it, keep in touch.

I never knew my journey in Pakistan would end like that. The beautiful time would end so soon and so unexpected. The people I loved, I would have to leave them like this. The perfect chilliness of the weather, the landscape, the hills, the beauty, I was leaving all of it, giving it all up.

Even I was ready to, without regrets, give up all that I could have gotten by staying, but there was a permanent pinch in my heart.

I lost Aaliyan Haider forever.