20 | F A I T H

Noah walked slowly around his office as he thought to himself while Rosa sat on the edge of his desk, swinging her legs back at forth as she ate chocolate covered hazelnuts

Well, she ate the chocolate around the hazelnuts and then dropped the hazelnuts into a spare napkin.

Chocolate covered hazelnuts were not cheap at all and Noah wondered why she would make him get them if she didn't even want the hazelnuts in the center. But she had claimed that they were actually her favorite part. And the chocolate only took away from the ability to actually taste the hazelnut. Which, coming from her, it made sense.

"Noah, catch," she said as she held her hand up. He stopped in his tracks and watched as she underhanded the sweet at him. She threw it a bit short so he had to duck down and put his head back.

She giggled and clapped happily as he caught it in his mouth to which he playfully bowed. "Let me catch one now," she said excitedly.

He watched with a small smile as she hopped off the desk and ran over to where he was standing. She pushed at his back gently and he went over to the chocolates, picking one up and throwing it up into the air. All she did was open her mouth and it dropped right in.

She pumped her first into the air and he laughed quietly. It was a simple game, but thinking about it, Noah hadn't done something fun and carefree in such a long time. The whole week was a cycle of eat, work, sleep, repeat. And Rosa had changed all that.

His business was something he did enjoy. But it was so.. tiring at times. His brain needed a break.

The two of them looked over at Rosa's phone as it rang and she skipped over to grab it, her face falling slightly the longer she talked to whoever was on the phone with her.

"Rosa? Baby, what's wrong?" he asked worriedly as he rushed towards her when the tears started to fall from her eyes. He cupped her cheeks, tilting her head up so he could see her face.

Her nose was running slightly, so he pulled a clean tissue from out of his pocket to gently wipe her nose and she sniffled quietly.

"I know I said we could meet my dad tomorrow. But can we go today instead? They think something may be wrong."

"Oh, of course. You don't even have to ask," he said, grabbing his suit jacket off the back of his chair. "Come on."

___

Rosa had no idea why she was leading the man who her dad specifically told her he didn't want her around right up to his room.

She concluded that she really needed the support, but when had she ever really needed support?

She had always just supported herself, gotten through things herself. So what was different now?

Her hands trembled as she pushed open the door to her dad's room and Noah gave her a reassuring hair ruffle right before she caught sight of her dad with a nurse by his side. There were a lot more machines than usual and he looked a lot less strong than usual.

"Hi dad," she squeaked as she neared the sleeping man. She could hardly look at him. She always saw him as this big, protective, goofy man.

"I'll give you two a moment before we have to discuss some things," the nurse said quietly before leaving the room.

She looked back at Noah who was standing further away, looking at her dad with a far off look. He caught Rosa staring at him and gave her a small smile before stepping closer and wrapping an arm around her shoulder, pulling her into his side. He leaned down and pressed a lingering kiss to her forehead. "Can I talk to your dad?" He asked gently.

Rosa nodded and pressed her face into his chest to hide the fact that she wanted to cry, so badly.

But she hated showing weakness. She had never needed anyone. Why would she find it okay to start now?

Just as he was about to talk, as if her dad sensed them staring at him, his eyes opened and he raised a brow at the closeness between them.

"So you're the man my Rosaline-mae talks so fondly about," he said, his voice slightly raspy with sleep.

Noah smiled down at the man. "Rosaline-mae? What a gorgeous name," he said, turning to Rosa. "Why didn't you tell me your full name?"

Rosa smiled sheepishly and shrugged as she avoided both of the mens gazes. "I like when people call me Rosa."

"You must be Noah. Shake my hand, will you?"

Rosa smiled happily but then her face fell, realizing now that he had remembered her mentioning an older man. And Noah was the very man he had told her to stay away from.

"Yes sir," Noah said with a small grin, lifting the mans fragile hand and giving it a gentle shake.

Her dad scoffed. "Come on son, firmer than that. I thought you were the stronger one here. Rosa will have to teach you a real handshake after you two leave here."

"Dad!" She laughed, shaking her head in amusement and Noah chuckled along with them as he gave her dad a firmer handshake.

"I-"

The nurse peaked her head in. "Rosa, can I speak to you for a second?"

She nodded hesitantly before looking between the two men cautiously. "I'll be right back. Be nice."

"Of course!" The two men said with happy smiles and she rolled her eyes and left the room.

"You like my daughter?" The interrogation had already begun and Rosa hadn't even been gone for one minute.

Noah was going to answer honestly. "Yes, very much sir."

"What do you do for work?" He asked as he attempted to sit up, the wires around him bunching up. Noah rushed to his side and aided him up, though he brushed him off with a small thanks.

"I own a publishing company. And a muesem on the side. Oh and.. Rosa. She thinks so wonderfully. I'd love to have her write something and send it somewhere."

Rosa's father gave him a crooked smile. "You do really care, don't you?" He asked, tilting his head. "I only want the best for my daughter. She's had a rough childhood. Taken care of herself since she was twelve. I wished to give her better. But grief does strange things to a person."

"Wait.. twelve. I thought it was fourteen?" He asked slowly. He knew her father was forgetful. But he seemed to be completely aware of the truth this time.

"My my, she's been telling a few lies to you. Hasn't she?" He shook his head and sighed. "All I wish for her, is to finally be taken care of, given attention and love. If you can't do that fully, please find someone for her. And.. I can't beleive i'm saying this, but if you think you'd be that person for her, be it. I am aware of your age. But I can see your true intentions. And they aren't sick. So I approve of you. If she so truly desires you. Does she?"

"I would like to think so," he said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You have to know so. Why does she like you? I want to know my daughters intentions are pure," he said, yawning slightly.

"I.." he drifted off, not knowing what to say. Was Rosa's adoration for him true? Or was it just because he paid her dads hospital bills?

"Find out. I'm sure she wouldn't hurt you. I've taught her better th-"

The sound of Rosa sobbing outside the door had Noah on high alert. He looked down at her father before patting the back of his fragile hand. "I'll make her happy, sir. Nothings going to change the way I treat her."

Her dad looked up at him through tired, yet hopeful eyes. "You promise?"

"I promise."

"I have faith in you son."

Those were her fathers last words to him. And they would ring in his head for years to come.