21 | L I E S

"Rosa, honey

"Rosa, honey. You're only sixteen. You can't keep paying for all these bills. He's suffering," the nurse said with a soft sigh. "Let him pass. He's very tired, dear," the nurse said as sweetly as possible, though she stayed very quiet.

"I want to pay for the tumor to get removed," she said through her crying.

"Rosa, it's unrealistic. You work yourself too hard. You both are so stubborn. Just let yourselves rest."

"He's all I have," she cried and immediately quieted down when strong arms enveloped her from behind. She could easily tell it was Noah. His scent was distinct. And comforting.

"You have me, darling. Shush now, you're gonna be okay," he said softly into her ear and the sound of honesty in his voice sent a sense of calm through her.

The nurse looked at the two strangely before screwing up her face. "You won't be alone for long, Rosa. You're sixteen." Rosa winced when she felt Noah tense. "The foster system will provide you with a lovely home."

The nurse quickly exited the hallway and Rosa felt a lump grow in her throat when Noah pulled away from her and pulled her into a seperate room.

She watched as he paced in front of her, his hands tucked his suit pockets before he brought one out and grabbed her chin with it. "Six-fuckin-teen?" He growled. "Sixteen years old?"

She whimpered and tried pulling away, but he shook his head, his eyes starting to grow glossy as they flickered over her face. "Rosalina, tell me that isn't the truth," he pleaded, staring at her face for any hint of it being anything but the truth. "You lied to me," he sighed, the hurt he felt evident on his face.

"I'm s-sorry," she said, ready to start pleading for his forgiveness.

"Do you know how much trouble you could get yourself in? Me in? I've worked hard to get where I am. And your one stupid f~cking lie could have sent it all crumbling down. And for what?" He stepped away from her and threw his fist into the nearby door.

She flinched and tried to touch his arm in reassurance. "I'm so sorry daddy. I-"

"No! Close your mouth right now little girl. You haven't sat on daddies lap. Or had him rock you to sleep. Or feed you. Or protect you. You know why? I was never your f~cking daddy. I'm not your daddy. I'm not your sugar daddy. Or lover. I'm nothing to you. Nothing. You don't know me. You never have, got that?" He growled, the tips of his ears getting red and his adams apple bobbed multiple times like he was trying to keep something down. Could they be.. tears?

"I never meant to hurt you. I like you, Noah. I'm sorry," she said, tears streaking down her face. "I asked my father to be with you."

"He asked me what your true intentions were? I wondered why he would ask me such a thing. I know now. I don't want to hear of you again," he said, digging his hand into a pocket in the inside of his suit and then shoving a wad of cash into her hands. "F~ck promises," he mumbled, before slamming the door opened and then closed.

It was strange how just a few minutes ago, he had been saying he was there for her. But now he was gone.

And it was all her fault.

Rosa dropped to her knees and began to cry hard. She felt as if another person had just died. And her heart right along with him.