Troublesome Times

Start from the beginning

"Yes. Happiness. Do you think I may be allowed, such a thing? Even though I believed such emotions were never to happen once more?"

(Y/N)'s heart broke at her father's words. She had been filled with sorrow since her father's passing, but she always found happiness in Namjoon's love and care.

It seemed as if it wasn't the same for him, and he had been unhappy all these years. 

She took a deep breath, stopping her voice from trembling, and hugged him gently, "Of course father." 

"He'll only be your stepfather, and you'll have two wonderful stepbrother's to keep you company." 

"Yes, father," she replied softly. She didn't allow herself to speak after that, and pulled away from him, cleaning up the tea set and walking to the kitchen, leaving Namjoon in his thoughts. 

The strain in her throat was suffocating when she put the tea set down in the kitchen. She took her apron from the hook by the back door and walked out onto their farm, her flats crunching the grass. The sun was beating almost unbearably on her back, but it was a welcome distraction for her inner turmoil. 

Of course, she didn't want her father to remarry, she didn't want anything to change, she was happy. 

But her father wasn't.

(Y/N) felt tears prick her eyes as she continued her walk to the edge of the small meadow. She didn't dare visit her father now, too concerned she would voice the ugly she felt in her stomach. She was only human after all. She had received comfort from her father ever since his husband died, and she blossomed well in it. She never realized how much she truly had taken from her father until now, when he voiced his insecurities at never having happiness again. 

She sat at the edge of the meadow, her back against a strong cedar tree and let silent tears fall down her rosy cheeks. She stayed there for a while, letting all of her worries and sadness water the tree beneath her when a sharp snap of a branch cause her head to jolt up. She met the strong steely grey eyes of a stag, who stood straight and proud, and out of pure silliness, she copied his posture. 

"Indeed friend." she sniffled and wiped her tear-stained cheeks. "Father would want me to be strong." The stag stared at her, seeming content and started to trot off. 

"Mr. Stag?" she called out, and to her surprise, he turned his great head back to look at her. 

"Thank you." no sooner had the words left her mouth, did he run off, leaving the girl alone again. 

(Y/N) had found comfort in her strong friend and two weeks later, when her father returned with his new husband and sons, she was ready to face the changes that were destined to come her way. 

"Everything is going to be okay." She whispered softly, putting a soft smile on her face. 

The carriage pulled up and two bustling boys peeked out the window at (Y/N). 

"She's so pale and skinny!" 

"And what lifeless hair!"

Namjoon opened the doors and a tall brunette stepped out, shortly followed by a blonde and they looked down their noses at the girl, who was maybe a year younger if even that. 

"Welcome. I'm so happy to meet you." (Y/N) genuinely smiled at the handsome boys, both lean and fit, wearing black trousers and coats, with gold embellishments on their chests.

The brunette reached out and gently fluffed the girl's hair. "You have nice hair." 

(Y/N) blinked confused. "Oh, thank you-"