THREE

Fifteen minutes later a knock came at my door.

"NYPD open up!"

I quickly did "she is right there." I said as five officers walked into my apartment three paramedics followed behind.

"I'm officer Justin, could I speak to you please?" I felt my body shake.

"Could you please explain to us what happened?" He asked
I nodded "I was just about to go through some files when she knocked on my door."
"Were you expecting her?" Another officer asked

"No.....she hurried into my apartment and sat on the couch, it wasn't until I approached her that I noticed the bruises and cuts she had."

I watched as the officers wrote down what I was saying. The paramedics examined Stephanie and two officers were taking her statement.

My heart fluttered, things seemed so fast and then slow all at the same time.

"What do you know about their relationship?" A male officer asked.

"The two of them started dating six months ago" I replied.

"What's his name?"

"Josh Denver"

"How old is he?"

"He's twenty-three"

"And your sister?"

"She's twenty-one"

"What can you tell us about your sister and how the two of them know each other?"

"My sister-uh well she has always been a very smart and kind person. She never got into trouble and she had big plans ahead for herself."

"What kind of plans?"

"She had plans to work for the C.I.A, after her undergraduate degree in forensic sciences and criminology at the college she planned to go for a Master's Degree in criminal psychology but that's when she met him. (The love of her life)."

"Please elaborate."

"They met at a bar, where he formerly works,Uhm...the bar located at the end of the next two streets. They became friends and she out of nowhere changed her plans to go for a Master's Degree. Then she started working at the bar with him."

"So they had no romantic activity before this, correct?" A female officer asked.

I nodded."Myself and our parents didn't approve of her change in plans, Steph and I are the only ones who live out here in the city since our parents moved to London."
"Then she started dating Josh and I didn't see her for weeks, months even."

"Didn't you try to reach out to her in order to know her whereabouts?" Officer Justin asked

"Well I did, but she shut me out of her life. I went to the bar to look for her but they said she wasn't working there anymore even Josh. Tonight is the first time I have seen her in over two months." I said raking my hands through my hair.

They continued to write stuffs down "could you tell us more about yourself, your name?, how old you are? and where you work?"

"Yes of course, I'm Gwendolyn Parker. I'm twenty-four years old and I work at Brownstone's Empire as the manager of the creative designs department." They nodded slightly and wrote.

They asked a few more questions from me and Steph.

"Okay that's all we need to know, thank you for this information." Officer Justin said
"We are going to make sure he is locked up for a very long time." He added. I sighed with relief and touched my sister's shoulder.

"Thank you officers, we really appreciate this." I said

This is gonna be a long night, me and steph have a lot to talk about. I'm glad she is okay.

*****
I have not been happy lately especially since what happened to Steph two days ago. Jace has been bugging me all day to speak my mind, its like he is worried about me. I am actually glad I have a new partner and we get along so well, and not to mention he is the best. He is very resourceful, with him handling almost everything thrown at us by Mr Brownstone would be easy.

"Jace thanks a lot for getting me lunch,I'm starving and too busy to go out" I said with a huge smile.
"Anything for my new partner" He said as he winked at me.
I smiled back..."Hope you enjoyed your lunch at the cafe? I wish I was able to go with you"
"It was okay, I enjoyed lunch,Gwen you've been spacing out a lot since morning."
"It's nothing, am fine"

"It doesn't look like you're fine but if you don't wanna talk I understand." "I just want you to know am here, am also your friend and not just your partner."

......

"The date for the next meeting has been set." I heard a voice say as I looked up to see Mr Brownstone's Secretary Sarah.
"Uhm...alright, when is it??" I asked
"Tomorrow morning."she said smoothly
"Scheduled for what time?" I asked
"8:30 and Mr Brownstone wants to see you in his office now" she said as she left my office.

I quickly left my office and hurried into the elevator.
When I got to the top floor I straightened my skirt as I walked towards his office.

"Miss parker come in" He said as soon as he heard a knock on his door
"About the analysis you failed to present in our last meeting, make sure you don't mess it up tomorrow or I wouldn't spare you." He said in a harsh tone
"Tomorrow is a special day for Brownstone's Empire." He added with a smile
I tried to figure out what he meant but I couldn't.

******
"Hey, Gwen aren't you gonna sleep....you have been working on your laptop since you got back from work"Steph said looking worried.

I looked at my sister,am really glad she is okay now... "I'll sleep, am just making sure everything is perfect for tomorrow"

She stares at me with a 'andsowhat' look in her eye.

"Steph, its really important...uhm its a big project and I have a presentation and I don't want to mess things up" I said as I pack my hair into a bun.

"Well am sure everything is going to be fine, just get some rest" she said as she stepped out of my room and shut the door.