Chapter 5 - The Blood

Magsimula sa umpisa

Abhay looked away too, unable to see her tear stricken face and walked holding her. He stopped on the doorstep and caretaker of Happiness Orphanage came with Aarti plate.

Abhay keep on holding her as she watched the caretaker with accusing eyes while caretaker kept on looking at Abhay with questions as she completed the ritual.

Abhay nodded at her with a stony look and she made her way outside the mansion leaving the two at the lonely doorstep and silent filled hall.

Abhay helped Piya in standing and helped Piya in pushing the rice pot with her right leg. Sitting on one knee, he silently pulled out her sandals and made her step in the red liquid. Holding her hand, he guided her walk inside until her footsteps faded near the hall. Taking her in his arms once again, he walked in the hall.

Abhay helped her sit on the couch in the hall and sat beside her. He pulled the bowl of milk decorated with flower petals placed on the table.

"Find the ring," Abhay said softly yet sternly

Abhay watched as Piya dipped her hand in milk but did no effort in trying to find the ring. He looked at her lost face and without averting his gaze, dipped his hand. He held her hand in the milk, making her look at him. He kept on looking at her tearful face without leaving her hand.

There was a time when her tears would kill him but his world was thrown into fire and ice forming a wall too thick and hard around it that even her tears couldn't melt the cold ice brewing in him or extinguish the hot fire burning.

Piya looked away from his dark eyes to their entwined hands with a ring in them as he pulled them outside. But his face remained hook on her face as he thought how her waterproof makeup remained unaffected by her continuous crying just like his heart remained nonfunctioning in its pieces.

Closing his eyes for a moment, he looked at his hand holding her hand and the infinity ring. Keeping the silence alive, Abhay made her wear the infinity ring in her other hand and took her in his arms once again.

"Please.." Piya whispered, trying to stop him "put me down"

Abhay didn't react and made his way towards the stairs as if he was too far to hear her words.

"Your... Hand is bleeding" Piya said in a low tone in a hope that he would put her down

Abhay halted in his progress and looked down at her. He tried to see if really cared for his injured hand holding her petite weight with her heavy lehenga or was it a way to escape from his touch.

A sad smile formed on his face as she hid her face by looking away from his scrutinizing gaze and soon, it transformed into a bitter chuckle.

"My heart is bleeding too," Abhay said slowly, for the first time in the day letting his pain show its signs on his face and in his voice

Abhay watched Piya slowly turning her head towards him as if fearing to witness the pain, his voice and words were filled with. For a moment, her breath stopped as she looked at his ashen face with numb look. He tried to understand her reaction, trying to see at least something for him in her hazel eyes but it was all blank. He found nothing and the feeling stabbed him despite the walls around him.

"So is mine," Piya said with accusation shouting in her voice that he is the reason for it. He didn't miss any of it either.

Abhay looked away and all the emotions flew away from his face as he ascended the stairs.

Stopping in front of his room, Abhay kicked the door open and walked inside the decorated room of his, now her too. He made her sit in the centre of bed not unmindful of her sudden increasing nervousness and fear. He sat beside her and held her hand.