Part 19 Masquerade

Start from the beginning

Before Integra could begin her own tailspin, she found herself swallowed a cozy and opulence. The corridor that leads to the door was the center "T" shaped level of the mansion's property. Proceeding behind Zala, Integra took in the decor. She couldn't help admire the attention to detail or the frankly impeccable taste. Whomever this Majestic was, they certainly have style. A few feet into the walk, Integra caught a glance into the oversized dining room to her right. It was busy with servants with moons and stars painted over the middle of their faces, masking their individual features. Some silver, some bronze. Others gold, while some were a shimmering blue. Just shooting stars, chasing behind the night.

Grand and ready to greet them were the double spiral staircase that leads to the second floor and the only way to the other wings of the home. Veering slightly to the left of the stairwell, Zala seemed to float with elegance and speed. Her dark skin looked polished and smooth in the candlelight. When reaching the staircase, Integra got a good look inside the Library to the left. This was the only room reminiscent of her home. With the exception that Majestic has stairs on rail tracks around the room. A fire was roared in the stone oversized fireplace. Two younger workers who also held stars on their faces worked diligently on sorting something just outside of Integra's view. Before she could double take over her shoulder to get a better look, Integra and Alucard were wished into the Great Room that held the masquerade. 

At least 250 people were in attendance, each adorned with intricate eye and face masks. Couture ballgowns notable designers. Tuxedos made to fit the wearer. And both humans and supernaturals. A witch was in the far right corner of the room. Integra had dealt with plenty of witches to know one when she saw one. Across from the room was a pacific island land spirit, in the form of a woman in white. Intricate gold and silver decorations lined walls and drapes, framing the party in a dreamscape. Hundreds of lit candles shone off the decorates and danced along the walls. Haunting music was played by a small pale woman in all black behind the largest Steinway in the middle of the room Integra had ever seen. 

Now deeper in the home, Integra could smell decadent foods being prepared to perfection. Involuntarily she licked her lips, drawing Alucards side-eye. Both elites and nobles from the entire continent took up space next to supernaturals. The room hummed life over the trance melodies of the piano. White grey hair flashed in her peripheral.  She was less surprised and more irritated to see Father Maxwell, clearly here to spy for the Catholic church. So they were looking into Majestic and their ties to the carnage, too? Or were they already connected? She would have to find Ceras and Walter to see what information they've gathered thus far. Integra considered weather to find them now to see what they've learned but decided against it, as not to blow the possible alias they'd inevitably created.

Zala glided to an empty couple of leather Oxford leather chairs and a small table with a lite long stem candle. Table and armchair combinations littered the side of the room—each with notes of the masquerade's guests' names. Upon further inspection, Integra saw a small box of Cuban cigars per cut and waiting use. Cubans were Integra's favorite dinner cigars. Twirling on her heels, Zala gestured to the cozy setup, displaying a bronze serving tray with their names Alucard & Integra. Alucard moved with a roll and a spin to position them, so their hands remained entwined as they sat down. 

"May I take your invitation?" Zala's tone both polite but sure.

"Oh yes," Integra reaching into her hand purse with her black-gloved hand. Fingering past the personalized pistol, her father left her for her 16th birthday. Its cool holy metal warmed Integra as another reminder of her mission. Grabbing the invitation, she handed it to the awaiting the hand of Zala. A gentle squeeze of her hand brought Integra back from her personal thoughts. In the flash of an eye, Zala was gone. Integra's eyes then dropped to her hand in Alucard's, sending a flush up against her chest.