Conscience | Saving The Wallflower

Conscience |Author of 'Saving The Wallflower'

Do you have a specific writing style?

No, not really. I try to straddle between multiple writing styles, mainly because I believe that we are constantly changing, and to limit yourself to only one style—when you can become potentially better—would be a shame.

How did you come up with the title?

To be honest, I really don't know. As I am writing the chapters, the title names just strike me.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I write without purpose. I leave it up to the readers to do all of the work and figure out what it is I am trying to say, because I don't know it myself.

How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

The events in my books are exaggrated—but sometimes verbatim—versions of my experiences.

What books have most influenced your life most?

Jellicoe Road, by Melina Marchetta. Reprise, by @Florallion.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Melina Marchetta, Michael Faudet, and @Florallion. My dream is to—one day—be able to write as well as they do.

What book are you reading now?

One Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

I don't know.

Do you see writing as a career?

Writing is something I generally enjoy doing, and to make a living out of it would be truly brilliant, but there are too many writers out there that are much better than me—and sometimes, much worse—that seem to be getting published, so I don't know.

Which literary character can you see yourself as and can relate to?

Taylor Markham in Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

So many things. For one: a book will not write itself, no matter how much you want it to. You have to be the one to write it.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Advice? You know, I have to be pro at writing to give advice, and I'm quite mediocre, but I guess I'd like to say: go out and experience the world, even if that sounds quite odd. Change is a result of experiences—of the things you go through in the world out there—and one of the biggest things a writer needs to do is experience. So, get out, have a ton of fun, make a lot of regrets, and write about it. By the time you're twenty, make it so you won't have to breathe fresh air again, because you, having gotten inflated on oxygen, will already have experienced all you need to in order to write about anything.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you, a million times over.