Laughterandjynx | The Last Virgin Standing

Laughterandjynx | Author of 'The Last Virgin Standing'

What inspired you to write your first book?

It was summer; I wanted a summer romance, so I had one through my characters.

Do you have a specific writing style?

I don't think so. I'm not really eloquent with my words, my vocabulary is limited, and most of my writing is dialogue heavy.

How did you come up with the title?

I'm assuming all of these are about The Last Virgin Standing. It was either this one or something like "The Virginity Game." I don't know why I went with the one I did, but I'm glad because there are a ton of books called "The Virginity Game" on Wattpad.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Uh, I don't really come up with a moral or anything. I guess that people aren't always what they seem, treasure your time alive, and to never take things for granted.

How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Well this game certainly isn't realistic (and neither are the beautiful men, at least not at my school). I think a girl (or guy) could definitely be conflicted between more than one love interest and that people can easily be succumbed to peer pressure. The traits the guys have are definitely glamorized, but if you dull it down a bit they are definitely real. Most of the feelings my characters have felt, I've felt to a lesser extent. For example, Ian and I are similar a way that we both want freedom. Writing Lucas' death scene was taken from my experience with my aunt's death and my breakup with my first love. Charlotte's feelings were a mixture of mine; Luke was both a brother and a lover to Charlotte.

What books have most influenced your life most?

Oh, geez. There are so many books out there; it's difficult to just pick one. All of the books I've read have influenced me in some way (whether it be "I want to write like this" or "This is what not to do"), but if I had to choose: The Anybodies by NE Bode, the Harry Potter series (I'm not a fanatic, though), the Color Purple, and the Help.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Alice Walker. I love her use of dialect and her characterization is phenomenal.

What book are you reading now?

I just finished Looking for Alaska by John Green. The next book I'll read will be The Secret Life of Bees.

If you could cast your characters in a Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play your characters?

I have a cast in The Last Virgin Standing.

Charlotte: Kacey Rohl

Tyler: Sean O'pry

Luke: Lucas Till

Ian: Gaspard Ulliel

Alec: Colton Haynes

Beckett: Simon Nessman

Emma: AnnaSophia Robb

Are you a plotter or a pantster?

A plotter? I don't go around pantsing people, haha.

Is there a certain type of scene that's harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?                              

Racy. Hands down. It's super awkward.

Which literary character can you see yourself as and relate to?

Oh, geez. There are so many characters out there. Margot from To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned who I was as a writer (including my habits). I need a deadline otherwise I get lazy.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Write and read often. Don't take forever to finish a story because you might forget about it. You can always edit/work the kinks out later. I think to get better at writing, you should read fantastic writing and learn what sort of genre you're into.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for supporting me and my writing. This is honestly one of my proudest accomplishments. I love you all!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~